Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah... it does.. family friend in the trans business said bring him the transmission and he will pull it apart and see what failed. I think I may let him build it with all the good parts.. 300M shaft with good drum, extra clutches (blue) ect... should be able to build this one with 1k in hard parts. He will rebuild the valve body (double check me) and I will have to source a converter....

This will save me a significant amount of money

Reactions: 3 users
I wouldn't use the Blue clutches as they will not be needed for your application and plan for the car. I would stick with the Raybestos Stage 1 Performance clutches (7 clutch direct, 6 clutch fwd, 4 clutch rev, 4 clutch Int). Silver Fox Performance also sells a rebuild kit with everything that you will need including the upgraded parts for $760, which you can then just get it rebuilt.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
What kind of miles were on it or do you think something in the controller caused the damage?
it was a junkyard trans... I was told it came out of a 80k mile v6 mustang.

honestly I have no idea what caused the damage... its hard for the trans controller to cause any damage as it was only ever run on jack stands. commanding the wrong solenoids simply puts it in a higher gear, and in manual 1st and 2nd the VB hydraulically bypasses the solenoids... these trans are designed to limp in 2nd gear if nothing is wrong with the sprag/diode.... I am thinking whatever is broken is the reason the car was in the JY in the first place

Reactions: 1 users
Ok guys I have basically figured out what I want to do... unless someone has a better idea.

Full rebuild of the trans with the silver fox kit or equivalent... rebuild my valve body.... I still need a torque convertor

unless @CarMichael Angelo convinces me to just get his transmission.... Mike can that thing be converted back to auto shift with just a valvebody?

Reactions: 1 user
Ok guys I have basically figured out what I want to do... unless someone has a better idea.

Full rebuild of the trans with the silver fox kit or equivalent... rebuild my valve body.... I still need a torque convertor

unless @CarMichael Angelo convinces me to just get his transmission.... Mike can that thing be converted back to auto shift with just a valvebody?
Yes,..., but you’d have to buy an aftermarket bellhousing for an AOD, that bolts to the front pump. I have a 10” l/u converter..You just have to have it cut apart, and have the Ford mating flange put back on it. Hardened 2 pc input shaft, deep pan, better bands, alto red cutches..It’s just sitting here..

Yes,..., but you’d have to buy an aftermarket bellhousing for an AOD, that bolts to the front pump. I have a 10” l/u converter..You just have to have it cut apart, and have the Ford mating flange put back on it. Hardened 2 pc input shaft, deep pan, better bands, alto red cutches..It’s just sitting here..
I will give you a call tonight.

Well gents... I checked it all dropped the VB triple checked the shift kit ect... retorque the VB and still no 2nd... not even when it's in manual 2nd.. I found a good amount of silver in the trans fluid so I am going to assume it's a sprag/diode isse... f$%k man I cant catch a break.

Gonna call silver fox performance in the morning. As much as I appreciate the offer @CarMichael Angelo I want an electronic transmission... I think I am going to order the 700 kit from them.
I think I have a the same problem with the Sprag/diode on my wife's 96 GT and its 4R70W. It will not shift into 2nd in drive. You have to get above 30 in first and feather the throttle a bit and it will shift into 3rd and then OD but no 2nd. However, you can manually shift it into 2nd and it will stay but slips a little on the upper RPM. When the car is cold in the morning, it doesn't slip hardly any 2nd. No slipping noticed in any other gear. Car only has 121K on the clock and the transmission has been messed up for the last 20K or so. Still drives ok but definitely not fun to drive without 2nd. I was going to do a 5 speed swap on the car because she and I both prefer manuals but I have enough projects and cant afford to have this car down for long time so I think with our tax return I am going to have the transmission rebuilt and be done. Seems like the sprag/diode thing is a common problem with these transmissions especially on the earlier ones. Hope you get yours figured out.

- 0800 hours, I spoke to agent W and informed her of a top secret mission to retrieve a hydromechanical device. 0805 hours, she accepted the mission.

- 1250 hours, agent W made contact to confirm the # and inform me that the gate to the facility was closed with no way to enter. I gave her a contact # with the understanding that she was to destroy the evidence.

- 1255 hours, agent W made contact to inform that she was given the wrong # and was forced to defend against an extended car warranty attack. agent W is a fast thinker and after some google fu was able to find a correct #.

- 1310 hours, agent W made contact with facility personnel and was able to use her wiles to gain access when a delivery was leaving the facility. She now has custody of the hydromechanical device and in enroute to base.

- 1403 hours, agent W is at base.

:taco::taco::taco::taco:

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users