Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

Hello my name is Steve and I dont update often, I am constantly working on other peoples vehicles and that makes mine sit and collect cobwebs....

I am a bad project car owner...
I did however find the chance to install my freshly rebuilt using most of Mikes parts 4R70W!!!!!
Larry Hart Transmissions in Dover FL got me setup, Larry insisted on a New input shaft and forward drum along with a new direct drum... I am not going to argue with the expert so I went along with it. In the end he used most of the other parts from Mikes 4R. He even went through the shift kit and made sure it was done correctly, he did not like the one I chose and installed a new kit along with all new valves and electronics.
The stuff he did not use he stuffed back into the case and told me to keep it in storage in case I need parts, all were in good shape he said and would be usable in building another 4R.
I am happy with the way things turned out.

Over the weekend I did get the transmission installed, I did not get pictures of the installation as we were moving quickly. Had to make it out to the track for some racing.

Reactions: 7 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I am working on that... I have to change the header gaskets and hardware, I found some leaks. I am also waiting on parts to add a backpressure sensor to the system, this requires drilling and welding. Thats much easier to do NOT under the car.

Reactions: 1 user
I am working on that... I have to change the header gaskets and hardware, I found some leaks. I am also waiting on parts to add a backpressure sensor to the system, this requires drilling and welding. Thats much easier to do NOT under the car.
Get rid of those gaskets! I started using copper rtv and couldn't be happier!

Needed them for clearance.... The headers have adapter plates, think sbf to Cleveland style adapter
think twice as much goop. RTV applied to both sides of the adapter plate, fixes what ails ya.

it’s Monster tested, its Monster approved.
IMAG0215_zpsxc4j6mcp.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I owe you guys lots of pictures.... that I still do not have lol.

I got the backpressure sensor installed, I also RTV'd the :poo: out of the headers and pretty much all the flanges including the V-band connections.

Doing some basic testing I think the trans shifts through all the gears, hard to tell with it on jackstands. I am going to do some more testing this weekend.

Reactions: 5 users
Well I dont know what kind of shape it is in but I scored a shifter and cable for the transmission for free! I love free things, basically the really expensive Lokar shifter was a waste of money. Does not shift correctly and is so sloppy it never moves the cable the same amount twice between gears.
I dont care if its a stock shifter its going in so I can do proper testing.

Reactions: 3 users
I have been promising pictures, I have some.
IMG_20210608_194717048_HDR.jpg

I have to redo the turn up on the cold-side piping, it is supported by washers welded to the piping and slid behind the bolts for the rack.
IMG_20210608_194707946_HDR.jpg

The headers are tight to the body and transmission but tuck nicely, everything sealed up great with the copper rtv treatment on the headers. You can see the tight clearance between the header and cold-side piping.
IMG_20210608_194649037_HDR.jpg
despite the look of it the welds don't leak on the exhaust. The tube coming off the piping on the driver side is for an exhaust back pressure sensor, I want to monitor the back pressure as it does affect the afr the wideband reports.
IMG_20210608_194605305_HDR.jpg

I put a heat shield on the driver side to protect the shift linkage and cable.
IMG_20210608_194817475_HDR.jpg

My nightmare.... One cold-side pipe run as tight as possible to the fuel tank the other runs over the tank. No intercooler,the long cold-side run cools the charge down.
More pics in another post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
IMG_20210608_194631499_HDR.jpg

Here is where the sensor tube becomes a line.. a bit further down I put the sensor in a rubber lined clamp. This will get to the ecu through the expansion on the dash.
IMG_20210608_192437746_HDR.jpg

This took a bit to troubleshoot as it was a loose connection in the harness. I pulled the seat track off and worked on it in the car.
IMG_20210608_192445339_HDR.jpg

Doing some voltage testing. Didn't take to long to find the culprit once I ruled out the switch.
IMG_20210608_192505837_HDR.jpg

The ground wire had a loose pin, tighten the pin up some and we have working seats again.
IMG_20210607_190659523.jpg

I was concerned about this for a long time, it was unnecessary... The ms3pro tucked easily under the seat.

Reactions: 4 users
IMG_20210608_194631499_HDR.jpg

Here is where the sensor tube becomes a line.. a bit further down I put the sensor in a rubber lined clamp. This will get to the ecu through the expansion on the dash.
IMG_20210608_192437746_HDR.jpg

This took a bit to troubleshoot as it was a loose connection in the harness. I pulled the seat track off and worked on it in the car.
IMG_20210608_192445339_HDR.jpg

Doing some voltage testing. Didn't take to long to find the culprit once I ruled out the switch.
IMG_20210608_192505837_HDR.jpg

The ground wire had a loose pin, tighten the pin up some and we have working seats again.
IMG_20210607_190659523.jpg

I was concerned about this for a long time, it was unnecessary... The ms3pro tucked easily under the seat.
What’s all of that orange-ish looking crud on the seat frames?

Did your vert come with ps?
I've got a ps frame from another stang, what does the plugs look like?
I need to see if the valdez has a plug for it or is it a separate harness.
This car was power everything. I have seats from a 2001 in the car so I am using the track from it. I had to convert from a 4 plug to the fox 2 plug but it all works like it should.