Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

I also ordered a nice set of locking AeroCatch pins for my new hood, I managed to score a nice 4" cowl hood for cheap. I also found a coupe trunk lid, so that saves me a ton of bodywork on the current one.
They are nice, but a pain to install..you will be cutting through the top skin, and the substructure, but the cut on the underside has to be bigger than the top to allow you access to the holes that the bolts go through. And it all has to be done perfectly to match up to the pin location.
Not for the faint of heart.

• Sponsors (?)

They are nice, but a pain to install..you will be cutting through the top skin, and the substructure, but the cut on the underside has to be bigger than the top to allow you access to the holes that the bolts go through. And it all has to be done perfectly to match up to the pin location.
Not for the faint of heart.

I put them on my 85 and they turned out ok. So it can't be that hard. And I was probably drinking at the time.

Last edited:
20200723_131048.jpg

Get the pins installed and place a piece of tape on the underside of the hood, lower the hood onto the pins and apply silight pressure. This was all it took to get a useable mark for a pilot hole, once i verified that the pin was centered on the pilot I used a step bit to enlarge each side. I then lengthened the rods so I could latch the pins from the top side, I placed the backing ring onto the pin so it could be taped into place after measuring and adjusting both sides. Once the backing rings are taped on I simply removed the pins and used the rings as a template.

20200723_152647.jpg

I then used that template to mark the hood with a sharpie and use a dremel cutoff wheel to cut the opening and test fit. I did some washing the dust was everywhere.

20200723_153604.jpg

The pin is pretty deep so I was forced too cut the bottom side as well, I used a long carbide bit to reach through and cut the bottom. I then cleaned it all up with sandpaper rolls until it looked half decent. In this picture you can see the backing ring, I cut it to deal with the one problem area. This also allowed me to tape the nylocks into place and pop it into place inside the panel, the one screw got clearanced on the bottom and I used a supplied washer and nylock.

20200723_162032.jpg

Final adjustment.

20200723_162134.jpg

Job done, Now to clean up some wiring in the fenderwell areas and install the wheel liners.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
20200723_131048.jpg

Get the pins installed and place a piece of tape on the underside of the hood, lower the hood onto the pins and apply silight pressure. This was all it took to get a useable mark for a pilot hole, once i verified that the pin was centered on the pilot I used a step bit to enlarge each side. I then lengthened the rods so I could latch the pins from the top side, I placed the backing ring onto the pin so it could be taped into place after measuring and adjusting both sides. Once the backing rings are taped on I simply removed the pins and used the rings as a template.

20200723_152647.jpg

I then used that template to mark the hood with a sharpie and use a dremel cutoff wheel to cut the opening and test fit. I did some washing the dust was everywhere.

20200723_153604.jpg

The pin is pretty deep so I was forced too cut the bottom side as well, I used a long carbide bit to reach through and cut the bottom. I then cleaned it all up with sandpaper rolls until it looked half decent. In this picture you can see the backing ring, I cut it to deal with the one problem area. This also allowed me to tape the nylocks into place and pop it into place inside the panel, the one screw got clearanced on the bottom and I used a supplied washer and nylock.

20200723_162032.jpg

Final adjustment.

20200723_162134.jpg

Job done, Now to clean up some wiring in the fenderwell areas and install the wheel liners.
post edited for commentary

Reactions: 1 user
20200723_131048.jpg

20200723_152647.jpg

20200723_153604.jpg

20200723_162032.jpg

Final adjustment.

20200723_162134.jpg

Uhhhhhhh,...You have GOT to get that thing painted.:runaway:

And while it all goes easy-peasy for the rest of the Aero catch enthusiasts chiming in here, that pin location will/could change the minute you take a steel hood, cut those fasteners into the hood, then turn around and install lift struts. ( Gotta make sure the damn things are installed first.) Not gonna happen with a glass hood obviously, but it only has to be off a tiny bit to not fit nicely.

Last edited:
Paint is on the short list... I have doors and a trunklid to install, i cant have a multicolored car. Only thing is i need to find a place i can trust, I dont want anything fancy car is staying semigloss black
...............I wish/hope you rethink your color choice.
Satin black requires the most work of any color to look good with regard to panel straightness. Just like all blacks. The glaring difference ( pun intended) is that unlike a gloss black, satin black is nearly impossible to keep looking that way. It can’t be wet sanded rubbed or buffed, ( so stains, small scratches, bugs and birds just have their way with trashing it). Waxes give the finish a “too shiny” sheen or leave a hazy residue that makes it look like it’s fading.( which it’s more likely to do w/o the benefit of some UV resistant clear top coat). And lastly,.......Nothing says “I just threw some black primer on this thing to get it running“ faster than an all satin black car...A color choice now relegated to the “pierced, tatted, and greased“ rat rodders riding in ratty rods.

• Agree
Well its a damn good thing IDGAF what other people think. :D

My car my questionable color choice, I have thought of others I really like gunmetal and I think some darker grey may fit the bill. They do have matte clear coats these days however.

• Agree
Well its a damn good thing IDGAF what other people think. :D

My car my questionable color choice, I have thought of others I really like gunmetal and I think some darker grey may fit the bill. They do have matte clear coats these days however.
you are of questionable character so a questionable color should be the correct choice. :jester:

• Haha
Anyone know how long it usually takes for ScottRod to get the panels ready? just looking to get an idea for time frame is all.

4" intake tubing is very difficult to route with the front facing TB, I will have pictures once I get it fitted.

Anyone know how long it usually takes for ScottRod to get the panels ready? just looking to get an idea for time frame is all.

hard to say right now. Previously, when shutdowns were in place it was just scott and his wife. I spoke to his wife and she said they were getting slammed with orders.

Have to imagine they have staff now, but seems everyone’s backlog is high.