Fox Exhaust Rattling On Corners Of Gas Tank

boostfrk

10 Year Member
Aug 30, 2011
Colorado
Been awhile since I've been on here...really not much time for the Fox anymore other than to drive it periodically.

Last year when I did my build thread I installed some of LMR's 2.5" stainless steel exhaust pipes. Fitment was great but as the pipes pass beside the gas tank they sure are close.

Fast forward to a couple months ago when I had to drop the gas tank to replace the fuel pump, and I notice that the pipes have some rub marks on them from the gas tank. So I've determined that the pipes are rubbing on the gas tank on the front two corners of the tank (that point towards the front of the car).

I have stainless steel band clamps so I can adjust the exhaust if needed, but twisting and adjusting the pipes so they don't hit the tank results in the pipes being crooked as they exit the back of the car, especially the left one. I've tried adjusting the mufflers, tailpipes, and a combination of both, but can't get them adjusted to miss the gas tank AND come out of the back of the car straight.

Any ideas? Bending/shaping the corner of the gas tank doesn't seem like a good idea; sounds like a good way to create a leak not to mention the metal is pretty stiff. Is there something rigid enough, yet with enough cushion, that I could wedge in between the points of contact to lessen or eliminate this rattling and rubbing?

• Sponsors (?)

Cheap and somewhat easy: check the rubber hangers and replace any of them that seem to be old or weather checked.

If the hangers do not do it, I had to have mine cut and welded at the speed shop. The pipes hit the corner when the exhaust was hot on a hot day. It sounded awful! Since they put it on, there was no charge to cut and weld it right. But a minor tweak should not cost much with newer pipes at a good exhaust shop.

Troof. Tons of room on the driver side. Seems to be offset by at least 2" out 5cm on the pass side. I've cut and re-welded my exhaust to compensate but it's still tight on the pass side.

Thanks guys. Rubber hangers are all nearly brand new; they were replaced when the exhaust was replaced. I'd rather not cut and re-weld them, but it sure is annoying.

I have been contemplating a new gas tank as the tank has a small leak, from somewhere, when the tank is filled all the way up. Getting cold here in Colorado, so maybe a project for a warm day over the winter or next summer. Perhaps if I replace it I could "adjust" the tank to accommodate the exhaust pipes so there isn't any contact.

Finally got this figured out. When I installed the exhaust I used SS band clamps so I could infinitely adjust the exhaust if needed, which I what I did. I was able to loosen the clamps where the tailpipes entered each muffler, and then push the tailpipes into the mufflers another 1/2" or so, providing more clearance between the gas tank and the tailpipes. Without the exhaust rattles the car seems so much smoother and more enjoyable to drive.

I also have a new gas tank waiting to be installed...

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys. Rubber hangers are all nearly brand new; they were replaced when the exhaust was replaced. I'd rather not cut and re-weld them, but it sure is annoying.

I have been contemplating a new gas tank as the tank has a small leak, from somewhere, when the tank is filled all the way up. Getting cold here in Colorado, so maybe a project for a warm day over the winter or next summer. Perhaps if I replace it I could "adjust" the tank to accommodate the exhaust pipes so there isn't any contact.
Probably the grommet where the filler neck goes in, they crack and can cause a leak or let vapors out into the car. LMR had a tank kit at one time with a tank and related parts.

It leaks from the top somewhere...grommet at the filler neck was replaced a year or so ago. Was going to do it this weekend but we got 4" of snow today and it's supposed to be pretty cold over the weekend, so maybe not.