Fill in the blanks and help me understand some motives here.. new car. fuel!!!!!!

BLCK95GT

Dec 5, 2009
TR NJ
Soo check this out... ive had my 95 GT for maybe 4 months now????... i do have its future well planned out...

but for now im trying to figure out some motives of the old owner on whyy he did some of this stuff to the car....

its a stock engine with 140K on it...stock heads... stock came.... and the intake is a trick flow... One would think on a stock engine you would use the street heat... nope.. it has the R series trick flow on top...... also, it has 32 pound injectors.... couple people asked me if i was sure bc there are no 32lb injectors... well i dug into it and they are in fact 32lb injectors made by accell..... the kid also told me he has it custom tuned and chipped.....

the car has bad gas mileage... im curious if this has anything to do with it..... also the car pings if i dont use super...... thats not right... a stock 5.0 shouldnt have to use 93 octane..... im gonna put a light on it tomorrow and see where the timing is at, but im not sure if this will help seeing that i dont know whats done through the tune.. should i just pull the chip and find 19lb injectors? what should i do?? it seems like i have a few unnecessarily big additions that i dont need.. hmm

• Sponsors (?)

Im no mustang expert by any means, but 32pounders are too big for a stock motor. Just to give you an example, I had a 383 stroker lt1 in my firebird that made about 430 hp to the wheels. I ran the ford motorsport 30pounders and they were no where near 100% duty cycle. I would sell/store those until you need them and get some 19 or 24's.

Im no mustang expert by any means, but 32pounders are too big for a stock motor. Just to give you an example, I had a 383 stroker lt1 in my firebird that made about 430 hp to the wheels. I ran the ford motorsport 30pounders and they were no where near 100% duty cycle. I would sell/store those until you need them and get some 19 or 24's.

Your rightt, my old mustang that people on here remember put out 518rwhp on a 306 and 8psi boost and i used 42lb injectors........ The previous owner gave me a dyno of the car and it put 250 to the wheels down.... these injectors are huge.... COuld this effect how crappy my gas mileage is???? Also sometimes i have to do the same thing 42lb injectors are notorious for... the foot to the floor to close the injectors so it would start routine.... the exhaust just smellls richh... sooooo where should i start... pull the chip set the timing at like 14 and find stock injectors n mass air???? Can anyone tell me for sure if this would effect my mileage??? Wouldnt you think that IF IT WAS CUSTOM CHIPPED that, they tuned the fuel down in the tune to compensate for the massive injectors????

I looked for any signs of a blower being there before and the oil pan has no plugs or anything in it... hmmm

There are a few brands of blowers that are self lubricating (prochargers and newer vortechs)
you need to get a stock intake that r is KILLING torque
and get some 19# injectors
pull whatever "chip" is in it and check the FP, if it's got an adj reg, that could be part of the problem. Also depending on the "tune" the computer may be treating the 32s as if they were 19s, which would cause a rich condition. Does it have a calibrated maf? I'd set the timing back to 10 and put some regular fuel in it. It shouldn't ping at base 10 with 87 oct.

There are a few brands of blowers that are self lubricating (prochargers and newer vortechs)
you need to get a stock intake that r is KILLING torque
and get some 19# injectors
pull whatever "chip" is in it and check the FP, if it's got an adj reg, that could be part of the problem. Also depending on the "tune" the computer may be treating the 32s as if they were 19s, which would cause a rich condition. Does it have a calibrated maf? I'd set the timing back to 10 and put some regular fuel in it. It shouldn't ping at base 10 with 87 oct.
i know nothingg about the calibration.... i looked at the meter and its a ford meter, soo its deff not aftermarket..... i really dont know about the calibration tho.... do i really have to chuck the intake tho??? i kinda dont wanna pull the lower unless i have to... i plan on doing nothing to this engine to pep it up because it burns and leaks oil.... i have a 408 in the works which ill eventually use the trick flow intake i have soo really i just wanna get this engine efficient point a to b with decenttt gas mileage on 87 octane ya know

Post the part number on the maf when you have time.
That intake moves the rpm range up quite a bit, and will kill alot of TQ in a stock car. Especially if it's the box R.
You don't have to remove it if you don't want to, but it's killing power and you've got a lot of dead air. Not exactly efficient at all.

ehhh theres a difference in smell of a car running too rich blasting black smoke out, and just a car with no cats....

I guess i have alot to check tomorrow.... there isnt a fuel pressure gauge on the car.. ill have to get one... the fpr i THINK is stock.... the car has a BBK TB cai and the intake, so who knows maybe he did throw an adj fpr on there...... i just dont know why one would do all these fuel mods and that intake on a mostly stock engine hmmmm.....

but like i said... the car burns and leaks oil.. its got 140K on it... its safe to say i dont wanna start pepping up this engine.... i wanna do a 408 stroker , soo i will reuse the trick flow intake on that engine.... if i can get better gas mileage out of this car, i willl be happy with it..

thanks

Post the part number on the maf when you have time.
That intake moves the rpm range up quite a bit, and will kill alot of TQ in a stock car. Especially if it's the box R.
You don't have to remove it if you don't want to, but it's killing power and you've got a lot of dead air. Not exactly efficient at all.

ill get back to you tomorrow with the part number during the day.. as far as the intake, its not the box.. its the one that looks similar to the track heat...

You don't need an FP gauge, just get rent the tool to check FP at autozone.

You would be amazed what some people do to their cars in a backwards attempt to make them faster