Progress Thread Fire Hazard GT build: On the road

Just for GK. I'll leave the bolts out until I confirm lights and senders are actual working.
gauges21.jpg

So now it's just odds and ends with the most pressing portion being the tune. I've been working on a couple other projects, mainly the old J10 truck which has been affectionately (and rightfully) named "Rusty" by the kids. The bed interior really isn't bad in comparison to the cab, but it gives me a chance to practice but welds, plug welds, and lap welds. So in the three patches I've done so far, I've learned a ton. One thing I've learned is that I am not a natural with a welder, and that my bottle gauge needs to be taped occasionally. Oh, another is that bird crap tac welds seem to be harder to grind away........or my shame makes it feel that way.
poor weld.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Because one of your legs is longer than the other. 9lbs, 180, 50lbs are all about straight up and down.
Really? If the rationale is to have all of the gauges clocked at 12:00 in their “Normal“ operating range, You need to set your clocks ahead an hour. :banana:

Secondly,...The AFR gauge is still gonna be tilted.
Thirdly,...The 12 O‘clock position on your tach will result in several parts of your engine scatted on the road.

Nope, the rationale is to have those gauges, I deem, important at 12. Shift light will keep me out of the danger zone on RPMs, and the AFR should be just a glance once tuned properly. Water temp, oil pressure and boost spikes, are all things that have greatly increased my mechanical knowledge in the past. Each time they did it came as a reduction in my time and financial stability. I am concerned that you didn't pick up on the varying sizes of the gauges. Definitely a MadMike styling no-no....lol

After Coffee feedback: Been a good day today. I got to meet A91What and General Karthief today. Darn good to just chat cars and kick around ideas. I don't know how much we helped Steve, but he helped me decide on the engine management system I'm going to use. I've got the older AEM, where they had the mustang style connector built into the box. The newer AEM systems are a universal box with an adapter harness to your factory wiring. There would be some benefit to learning the system, but due to the extravagant cost of AEM's stuff, the Mustang is the only project that would see one. Hence, Steve steering me right on the fact that I could run one of the megasquirt systems fairly inexpensively on any other motor. Oh, and I know this guy that does some kick arse tuning with Tuner Studio. Win...Win, and if I screw up future iterations....Win. The final tipping point was that Steve happened to have a PNP box sitting around, and wanted a fair price for it that truly beat out the one I was looking at driving three hours for. Steve, your a fine American.

So here is the gameplan:
1. run the vacuum line for the MSNP box, and decide if I want to have the MS control the MSD box.
2. When done, get Steve to teach a caveman how to use TunerStudio while he makes the FireHazard street friendly.
3. Scratch my head as Steve uses big words, makes the car run beautifully, and is convinced he just did the equivalent of teaching a monkey to fly an airplane.
4. Dream up other MS projects (turbo Jeep 4.0, 4.8LS powered Willys Jeep....etc).
5. Pay Steve to fix my errors after actually building said hairbrained project and not getting it to run.
6. Optional....nod head a lot as Steve is convinced I am learning from the mistakes I made.

Steve, J.R., thanks for another damn fine day.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users
Today was an adventure as usual. If you've seen my other posts, I've been looking for a new daily driver fox or Jeep Cherokee. Unfortunately, I haven't had luck with much on the fox side, but I have found a couple of Cherokees that needed some love. So today I go to look at one that has "lifter tick." It's already lifted and the body is pretty strait, so worth a look. I get the misses in the car and we drive the hour south to see it, all the while she is trying to ensure that I don't regret getting rid of the Audi. I assure her, it's just meant to be. We get there and the Jeep is a little worse off than expected. The parts bolted to her are all quality, but the windows don't work, the passenger floor has a hole in it, the A/C is not working.....and the "lifter tick" that many 4.0 Jeeps develop is actually a "lifter knock." Never heard anything like it. Definitely a lifter, but one that was obviously going to ensure the camshaft and valve train attached were going to need replacement. This is the moment where I need to talk my way out of another project. Instead I express my concerns and ask what the seller's bottom dollar is. He replies "800," now every area is a bit different, and there was a day and age where they could be found in decent shape for around that number. Where I live is not that time and place. My mind says ":poo:e, now you have to buy it," as I shake his hand. I pretty much calm my 4 a.m. demon by watching Roadkill episodes, so "let's see what we can do." I drive to the local Oreily's, buy a rearview mirror, the glue (when did they stop coming together), and some Lucas "high mileage." In my mind, I'm going to add the Lucas and hear the symphony of a 4.0 as it quiets down. It did, if you turn up the stereo enough. This is where the caveman in me justifies every mile closer to home is a bit cheaper for the tow....besides, I just might make it...it is 2021! My son looks at me like I've lost my mind as I tell the wife to head home and propel my wounded XJ out of Oreily's. Hell yeah, game on....best episode of roadkill ever! Nope, 20 miles from home the motor comes apart and we deftly coast to safety on the side of the road. AS my son looks at me with a worried face, I try to restart the Jeep. It sounds like a coffee can full of metal in a dryer. Needless to say, I now own an XJ in need of another 4.0 or an LS swap. I'm such an arse.
thumbnail (2).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Today was an adventure as usual. If you've seen my other posts, I've been looking for a new daily driver fox or Jeep Cherokee. Unfortunately, I haven't had luck with much on the fox side, but I have found a couple of Cherokees that needed some love. So today I go to look at one that has "lifter tick." It's already lifted and the body is pretty strait, so worth a look. I get the misses in the car and we drive the hour south to see it, all the while she is trying to ensure that I don't regret getting rid of the Audi. I assure her, it's just meant to be. We get there and the Jeep is a little worse off than expected. The parts bolted to her are all quality, but the windows don't work, the passenger floor has a hole in it, the A/C is not working.....and the "lifter tick" that many 4.0 Jeeps develop is actually a "lifter knock." Never heard anything like it. Definitely a lifter, but one that was obviously going to ensure the camshaft and valve train attached were going to need replacement. This is the moment where I need to talk my way out of another project. Instead I express my concerns and ask what the seller's bottom dollar is. He replies "800," now every area is a bit different, and there was a day and age where they could be found in decent shape for around that number. Where I live is not that time and place. My mind says ":poo:e, now you have to buy it," as I shake his hand. I pretty much calm my 4 a.m. demon by watching Roadkill episodes, so "let's see what we can do." I drive to the local Oreily's, buy a rearview mirror, the glue (when did the stop coming together), and some Lucas "high mileage." In my mind, I'm going to add the Lucas and hear the symphony of a 4.0 as it quiets down. It did, if you turn up the stereo enough. This is where the caveman in me justifies every mile closer to home is a bit cheaper for the tow....besides, I just might make it...it is 2021! My son looks at me like I've lost my mind as I tell the wife to head home and propel my wounded XJ out of Oreily's. Hell yeah, game on....best episode of roadkill ever! Nope, 20 miles from home the motor comes apart and we deftly coast to safety on the side of the road. AS my son looks at me with a worried face, I try to restart the Jeep. It sounds like a coffee can full of metal in a dryer. Needless to say, I now own an XJ in need of another 4.0 or an LS swap. I'm such an arse.
thumbnail (2).jpg
Sorry about your Jeep not being up to the task.
And..
There’s no such thing as a “ Best episode of roadkill”
Every episode sucks. Just in case you forgot.

Last edited:
Don't listen to Mike, he is not in touch with his 'inner automotive hack'.
Are you freakin kidding me? Self deprecation, and an “all too revealing“ critique of some of the work I do is a constant in almost every update I make. If that isn’t being in touch with my inner automotive hack I don’t know what is.

If only those who don’t know that they are a hack was a thing...

Reactions: 1 user