Progress Thread Fire Hazard GT build: On the road

• Sponsors (?)

Dang, sorry to hear about the Jeep. I love XJ’s. I’ve owned 6 and currently have a 2000 I bought for 300$ and pretty much entirely rebuilt. Windows not working are generally broken wires in the door jam or the broken solder joints on the master window switch. I guess that’s the least of your worries now.. but for future reference.

Attachments

• 15D5F3D5-9D50-4C0E-9A21-642616F9B11B.jpeg
    15D5F3D5-9D50-4C0E-9A21-642616F9B11B.jpeg
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 51
Sorry about your Jeep not being up to the task.
And..
There’s no such thing as a “ Best episode of roadkill”
Every episode sucks. Just in case you forgot.
Mike, the show is great. For those of us with too many projects it's a reminder that a running project far outweighs perfection. Besides no matter how pretty it is, not working still equals not working.
Dang, sorry to hear about the Jeep. I love XJ’s. I’ve owned 6 and currently have a 2000 I bought for 300$ and pretty much entirely rebuilt. Windows not working are generally broken wires in the door jam or the broken solder joints on the master window switch. I guess that’s the least of your worries now.. but for future reference.
No worries, JR found me an engine, now I just need to straighten the passenger floor pan out. Everything else is pretty minor. Nice XJ.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
In typical ridiculous fashion, there has been no progress with the Mustang. I worked on the Jeep truck bed, so it can be moved, to replace the clutch in my ranger, so I can go pick up the engine General Karthief found. WTH? Two trucks....yet I have to work on one, so I can get the other, so I can make another vehicle run. I'm starting to believe I'm a little off....lol.

In typical ridiculous fashion, there has been no progress with the Mustang. I worked on the Jeep truck bed, so it can be moved, to replace the clutch in my ranger, so I can go pick up the engine General Karthief found. WTH? Two trucks....yet I have to work on one, so I can get the other, so I can make another vehicle run. I'm starting to believe I'm a little off....lol.
Normal motorhead crap

Normal motorhead crap

you actually thought progress would be made on the primary project... :nonono:
See this is what a true support network sounds like. Instead of "yeah, you might not want to keep doing this." They say, "I got your beer man, go for it!" :nice: Did have another awesome day today. I finally got a chance to run by a buddies house and see his projects. He's currently working on a father/son mustang project, painting one he plans to sell, and plotting on what he plans to do with his black on black notch. It's always awesome just to hear other car guys vision and passion regarding their projects. I can honestly say it always gives me a bit of fuel on my own projects and dreams.

• Hell Yeah!
I managed to cut out the floor pan on the Jeep today. With the covid shot and other junk they've got me on, I'm just obligating myself to those jobs that I can work a little here, than a little there. Today I managed to cut the pan at my initially drawn line. Only problem is that I was supposed to mark a line an inch below it, and then cut. Again, kicking myself in the groin. I would have been better off finally getting the vacuum line I need to get the MS in. Oh, had a piece of grinding slag imbed in my HF safety glasses. ?It's sticking through the eyeball side. Time to stop trusting my Chinese buddies with my eyes I guess. For those with the WTH are there no Mustang updates?.....promise, I'll get there eventually.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Rich, I know its hard for you to plan a day what with some days better than others ect. but if you want me to come over and give you a hand sometime just let me know. I know my way around a cut-off wheel and I can even bubblegum metal together pretty ok

Hey Rich, I know its hard for you to plan a day what with some days better than others ect. but if you want me to come over and give you a hand sometime just let me know. I know my way around a cut-off wheel and I can even bubblegum metal together pretty ok
I appreciate it Steve. I'm hoping to have the pans about done tomorrow. I may take you up on it when I go to remove/stab the engine in the Cherokee. This weekend will likely be clutch work on the Ranger, but thanks to JR's help, I'll likely have the running motor during the week. So the plan is to unbutton everything but the mounts and trans for a quick pull, then stab the other in. I found out a few years back that these inline 4.0s likely weigh the same as a decent V8. Definitely not easily lined up with just one person.

As far as today, I found out I grabbed the wrong size vacuum line for the Mustang, so I just continued on with the Jeep. She'll have a bit of Ford in her as I took the patch panel out of an old Ranger hood I had. I figure a lot of you guys have done this before. As usual, I just figured it out after the local JY wouldn't let me in with a death wheeled Dewalt 20V.

hood.jpg

Probably the coolest part of today is that the Jeep became me and my Son's project. The big dude is high functioning, but doesn't drive due to his special needs. Doesn't slow him down, and definitely didn't stop his interest in air chiseling half the pan out from the Jeep. I honestly thought he'd get bored chiseling out spot welds..........completely wrong.....lol
Jav.jpg
Like I've said, life is definitely about recognizing the little things.

Reactions: 4 users
Well, the Ranger's clutch took me three days thanks to an over indulgence in red locktite and Ford's ingenious hydraulic set-up. Had the gentlemen I bought the Jeep engine off of come up with a "you know what I do on those clutches." So after two hours of vacuum bleeding the clutch, I took his advice. Remove the reservoir cap, pump the heck out of the clutch, then slip your foot to the side and let the pedal rebound violently. It's voodoo, but after a couple of times it shifts like butter now (Thanks Ryan). Again, why would Ford use a hydraulic clutch on a 4 banger truck???
clutch.jpg

Anyway, the little Ranger is up and allowed me to go get the new-ish motor for the Cherokee.
4oh.jpg
As great as it was to finally pick this up, the coolest part was being able to see one of GeneralCarThief's projects.
JRs stang.jpg

I love the patina, but really admire the alternate fuel concept. I mean trains were powered by steam, but hickory powered foxes....right. No, honestly, what a bad arse excuse for lack of progress. Mine is getting the wrong vac line. JR's has to do with nature just telling him it's just not time...lol. Just like him to one-up the rest of us....lol.

I do have to give him thanks for some good conversation over a cup of coffee, and helping to find another motor for the XJ. Just another great example of folks on here helping folks out:nice:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I bleed Ranger hydraulics by removing the whole system from the truck. There's a couple of gravity defying bends in the lines that prevent bleeding in the truck. Will try that side step trick on the next one I have to do, its waiting on me in the Front drive.

That's the money tree we've all been looking for :O_o:
Then JR has us all again. Most of us just use the engine bay to burn money.
I bleed Ranger hydraulics by removing the whole system from the truck. There's a couple of gravity defying bends in the lines that prevent bleeding in the truck. Will try that side step trick on the next one I have to do, its waiting on me in the Front drive.
Thought I was going to have to do the same. Now I did have the front end up. Didn't figure it would work, but glad it did!

Yesterday was another great day. It seems like I've been working non-stop on about every car I own except the Mustang and the Audi. Doesn't sound like much, but we have seven cars, not including the mother/father-in-laws vehicles. So you can't even imagine how awesome it was to have a few buddies show up to help get me further down the road on my XJ. These guys were so helpful I often had a heck of a time finding something to do while we were pulling/installing the motor.
This picture was typical of the day, and I mean the full day these guys helped out.
hvywork.jpg

What you can't see here is that JR is talking to Steve underneath the doggone Jeep. Steve did actually volunteer to be the guy pullling trans bolts, so hopefully he'll talk to me again in the near future..lol. Another thing you don't see is my buddy Flint running ( for the umpteenth time) to get us replacement bolts for the E-torx that we had so much of a hard time with. I'm not used to it, but we accomplished this thing they call "progress." So much so my better half actually came out to see what "progress" actually looks like. At the end of the day, the guys got me to the point that I just need to button up the wiring, vacuum lines, and some odds and ends. Again, it's just great having good folks in your life. Thanks again guys, and know I'm there when it's your turn.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
Now THAT was a pita!!!
Every time you move he's screaming 'watch out for the KC lights'
I just wanted to take a hammer to them :jester:
I got him back though, when he was not looking I tipped over the old engine and it dumped used oil (this thing looked like it still had the factory break in oil in it) all over his nice new concrete. :banana:
Sorry about that not really
I was having a good time till they told me to go home.
Lets do it again, this time I promise to behave myself not really