Progress Thread '93 Kenne Bell Notch

• Sponsors (?)

How old is your pump and what temps are you seeing?

Not sure how old it is. But it's been on the car since I bought it 3 years ago, so i would say at least 5 years old. As far as the temps, it starts getting to the red part of the gauge so around 240~. I think I always had this idle overheating issue even when I had e fans that were constantly on, I think that's why my overflow blew up that day. Now I have a fan clutch.

Just a name brand water pump will do. Don't know what would be 'race' or 'high performance ' about a water pump. Most are made in a foreign country I suspect. And change the thermostat, 195* is what the factory recommends, the temps will run up to 205*/210* sitting in traffic with the ac but 'you don't got no' ac.
I check thermostats on the stove before installing, the 180* stat in mine now is not fully open until 190*, check the air damn (is that the correct name?) under the radiator. And get a mechanical or electrical gauge for accurate readings, you can mount the sender in the thermostat housing or in the back of the lower intake. my gauge is mounted under the dash. That way you still have a functional dash gauge.
These are just the ramblings of a shade tree mechanic and not based on any actual mechanical education.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a name brand water pump will do. Don't know what would be 'race' or 'high performance ' about a water pump. Most are made in a foreign country I suspect. And change the thermostat, 195* is what the factory recommends, the temps will run up to 205*/210* sitting in traffic with the ac but 'you don't got no' ac.
I check thermostats on the stove before installing, the 180* stat in mine now is not fully open until 190*, check the air damn (is that the correct name?) under the radiator. And get a mechanical or electrical gauge for accurate readings, you can mount the sender in the thermostat housing or in the back of the lower intake. my gauge is mounted under the dash. That way you still have a functional dash gauge.
These are just the ramblings of a shade tree mechanic and not based on any actual mechanical education.

I bought a full lmr kit and I think it came with a 180° thermostat. And I recently did install the air dam. I'll have to order a new gauge like you said, just to verify the temps. I may still do a new water pump seeing as it's pretty cheap.

I have a 30 dollar Bosch pump from pepboys. They are brand new units. That will be more then enough

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
20190703_201402.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Do yourself a favor and run out to a pick and pull yard. Look for a mid 80s early 90s chevy pickup. They have a 5 post battery positive junction block behind a plastic cover at the top of the firewall. Those 2 wires should be on the battery side of the starter solenoid. Someone decided it was a good idea to make the replacement solenoids posts shorter. Smh

Do yourself a favor and run out to a pick and pull yard. Look for a mid 80s early 90s chevy pickup. They have a 5 post battery positive junction block behind a plastic cover at the top of the firewall. Those 2 wires should be on the battery side of the starter solenoid. Someone decided it was a good idea to make the replacement solenoids posts shorter. Smh

That wire with the star like pattern doesnt seem to fit over the post on the started solenoid, 100% it goes there?

I found someone nearby selling their notch for $7500 obo. I'll attach pics below. The body looks in better shape than mine, it has more power. I have already invested probably $8500 total into mine. Do you think it's a good deal? What does it mean top of 3rd gear breaks up?

Screenshot_20190710-082349_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20190710-082352_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20190710-082355_Facebook.jpg
20190710_082804.jpg

I can't advise you on what to do but I can give you an observation, out of 4 cars that I know of with power adders, 3 supercharged and 1 turbo, that have been bought around here I have towed 3 of them due to issues within a few months of ownership. Two head gasket problems and a bottom end that was beat senseless because of worn out bearings, that guy was a total liar. Not that there will be problems with this car, I just don't trust sellers anymore.
Maybe if it came with jack stands? :jester:

Last edited:
I can't advise you on what to do but I can give you an observation, out of 4 cars that I know of with power adders, 3 supercharged and 1 turbo, that have been bought around here I have towed 3 of them do to issues within a few months of ownership. Two head gasket problems and a bottom end that was beat senseless because of worn out bearings, that guy was a total liar. Not that there will be problems with this car, I just don't trust sellers anymore.

Yeah good points. It's hard to trust any seller. He has another car he races and based on the posting it looks like he did other engine work to this notch..
Screenshot_20190710-090928_Facebook.jpg

I can't advise you on what to do but I can give you an observation, out of 4 cars that I know of with power adders, 3 supercharged and 1 turbo, that have been bought around here I have towed 3 of them do to issues within a few months of ownership. Two head gasket problems and a bottom end that was beat senseless because of worn out bearings, that guy was a total liar. Not that there will be problems with this car, I just don't trust sellers anymore.
Its " due"

• Agree
Not a fan of that car for $7500. Seems a bit ratty, but the pics aren't all that great. Plus it has a potential issue with the misfiring at WOT in 3rd. Could be tune, could be something else.

Pull the blower off that and it's a $3.5-4K car. I'd add $1K for the blower