Progress Thread Floor pan repair/build thread

sav22rem22

Feb 6, 2020
North Carolina
The bar was likely not placed correctly, it's Easley done if you don't check your work. Just replace anything that looks damaged along with the retainer springs that hold the shoes on, they don't take much abuse.
pull the opposite drum to make sure everything is correct on both sides.
Which way would the spring on the bar face on the passenger side? I see the drivers side spring was facing towards the front of the car but I’m not entirely sure. I’ll have to completely disassemble the passenger side drum tomorrow since half of it fell apart. Looks awfully irritating lol

• Sponsors(?)

JasonRP

May 25, 2018
Annapolis
Which way would the spring on the bar face on the passenger side? I see the drivers side spring was facing towards the front of the car but I’m not entirely sure. I’ll have to completely disassemble the passenger side drum tomorrow since half of it fell apart. Looks awfully irritating lol
Hey, hopefully this is helpful. When I do drums, I can never find this info, I figured I'd send it along so you'll have it! :)

drum.jpg

sav22rem22

Feb 6, 2020
North Carolina
So another update. I got a whole new hardware kit and new brake shoes since one was tweaked and the others brake pad material was falling apart. The backing plate got pretty messed up when the brake bar got mangled. So did just about everything. The contact points that the shoes sit on on the right side are pretty messed up. When I put everything back together following all instructions carefully, only one side of the shoes would line up. When making the other side line up, the other would pop out of line. Basically, the little notch that sits up against the wheel cylinder would only line up on one side. I’m not sure how I would go about fixing that. The car is going to have to sit until the guy who last took the brakes apart gets back from mustang week. I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing and drum brakes are pretty foreign to me but something just seems wrong

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
If the adjuster is screwed all the way in it will make the shoes do that. It needs to be screwed out until there is only drag on the drum. Takes a bunch of putting g the drum on, spinning it by hand back and forth, taking it off, screwing the adjuster out, and repeat.

You may need a new backing plate. If you do the axle will need to be removed to replace it.

sav22rem22

Feb 6, 2020
North Carolina
If the adjuster is screwed all the way in it will make the shoes do that. It needs to be screwed out until there is only drag on the drum. Takes a bunch of putting g the drum on, spinning it by hand back and forth, taking it off, screwing the adjuster out, and repeat.

You may need a new backing plate. If you do the axle will need to be removed to replace it.
I couldn’t even fit the self adjuster in between the bottom of the shoes where it’s supposed to go. Once I put the bar with the spring in the middle thats when everything starts going crazy. I cobbled it back together and limped it home. Very unhappy that I even had to do that to begin with and will be getting it fixed for free by the guy who messed it up

Reactions: 1 users

sav22rem22

Feb 6, 2020
North Carolina
Well finally another update. The guy fixed them for free (obviously) however they still feel spongy and feel like they need to be bled desperately. I haven’t driven the car much since I’m waiting to have some time to finish cleaning the pans up and install sound deadening. Windshield is leaking very badly so I’m having safe lite come out and put a new one in so I’ll have it freshly sealed up. I now hear a ticking noise coming from the engine that seems to speed up with rpm which is awesome. Slowly but surely the car will go back together. I also had to take some time off of working on it because I came down with COVID.