For those who wondered if a catted X pipe is worth it on a 03/04 Cobra.......

MystiChrome Coupe

Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
OHIO
in my case it sure was. I added my magnaflow catted X pipe to my FR500 catback & K&N FIPK. My best pull with just the catback & CAI was 391.0 rwhp & 359.7 rwtq. With the X pipe added I got a best of 412.6 rwhp & 382.1 rwtq. All #'s are SAE. Over 20 hp & tq & not just peak, it's all through the pulls. I also love the sound I got with the combo. Not super loud, but does have a deep tone.

My boost stayed the same, still at 9.5 psi & the A/F is right at 12 untill around 6K, then it takes the AMZ1 dump. But it has done that on all my previous pulls so I wasn't too suprised to see it again. I'll post the graph soon, just haven't taken pics of it yet.

Overall I very happy with the results & the sound, the maggie & the FR500 is a great combo, IMO. :D

• Sponsors (?)

Here's the dyno sheet.
P6200742.jpg

P6200743.jpg

Attachments

• P6200742.jpg
    P6200742.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 102
  • P6200743.jpg
    P6200743.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 99
MystiChrome Coupe said:
in my case it sure was. I added my magnaflow catted X pipe to my FR500 catback & K&N FIPK. My best pull with just the catback & CAI was 391.0 rwhp & 359.7 rwtq. With the X pipe added I got a best of 412.6 rwhp & 382.1 rwtq. All #'s are SAE. Over 20 hp & tq & not just peak, it's all through the pulls. I also love the sound I got with the combo. Not super loud, but does have a deep tone.

My boost stayed the same, still at 9.5 psi & the A/F is right at 12 untill around 6K, then it takes the AMZ1 dump. But it has done that on all my previous pulls so I wasn't too suprised to see it again. I'll post the graph soon, just haven't taken pics of it yet.

Overall I very happy with the results & the sound, the maggie & the FR500 is a great combo, IMO. :D

Is there any drone with the FR500 catback ?
(usually around 2000 rpm)
:notnice:

03 SVT VERT said:
Just wondering, what is that at the crank about?
Figure he's losing 12-17% of the HP because of drive train and accessory losses and I'd say he's pushing around 470-490 crank HP.

U.M.

Hey MystiChrome Coupe - You now need to get a tune on that car because your A/F is looking a little lean from 3500-6200RPMS. I take it they used a tailpipe sniffer?

Uncle Meat said:
Figure he's losing 12-17% of the HP because of drive train and accessory losses and I'd say he's pushing around 470-490 crank HP.

U.M.

Hey MystiChrome Coupe - You now need to get a tune on that car because your A/F is looking a little lean from 3500-6200RPMS. I take it they used a tailpipe sniffer?

Yup, they use the tailpipe sniffer. I was wondering if the A/F was in the "safe" zone or not. I was really hoping it was, I wanted to stay away from messing with the tune, but if I have to I have to.

What is the optimum A/F ratio? I think I've seen it posted that around 11.6 to 11.8. Is this correct?

Also would the predator be all I'd need for this issue?

Thanks for the replys all. :nice:

ps, the catted X pipe dyno was done the same day it was installed & I didn't reset the PC.

MystiChrome Coupe said:
Yup, they use the tailpipe sniffer. I was wondering if the A/F was in the "safe" zone or not. I was really hoping it was, I wanted to stay away from messing with the tune, but if I have to I have to.
Well it's not too bad, but it could be a little safer. Keep in mind that those numbers are about 500RPM's behind where they really are due to the tailpipe sniff.
MystiChrome Coupe said:
What is the optimum A/F ratio? I think I've seen it posted that around 11.6 to 11.8. Is this correct?
Yup.
MystiChrome Coupe said:
Also would the predator be all I'd need for this issue?
Yes, just make sure you purchase the Predator from someone who will support you with aftermarket tunes for little or no cost. You need to send your dyno sheets to the tuner so they can customize a Predator tune for your car. You may have to re-dyno the car after installing the custom tune and send the resulting dyno sheets back to the tuner once again. This process is like a woman washing her hair, lather/rince/repeat as neccessary or until your A/F curve is flat.
MystiChrome Coupe said:
ps, the catted X pipe dyno was done the same day it was installed & I didn't reset the PC.
Disconnect the negative battery terminal and pump the brakes a few times. Wait 15 minutes and hook her back up. Any mod affecting intake or exhaust is a good candidate for clearing the ECM's memory and letting it relearn the new mod. At the very least it can't hurt.

U.M.

x-pipe with cats and without cats make the difference in the loudness of the exhaust. I like the bassani x-pipe... when you get tired of the loudness, or going on a long trip... you can remove the race tubes and swap them for the included cats... this in my opinion is the #1 reason I went with bassani.

I wonder why folks still use the predator.... when the hypertech is just as good and has awesome support???????????

travis0712 said:
I wonder why folks still use the predator.... when the hypertech is just as good and has awesome support???????????

Beause it has more features and better support! I paid $419 for my Predator and that included free custom tuning for the life of my Cobra! Hypertech can't touch that! (http://www.runninwiththedevil.com/fordgas.htm)

Plus
Can the Hypertech perform live data logging while you drive? Can it scan & clear codes from the ECM on your Cobra AND all newer Ford vehicles? Can you download custom tunes from the internet into the Hypertech for uploading and use in your car? Those are just a few of the reasons the Diablo Predator is better... because it can do all of that and more...

U.M.