Engine Foxbody Mustang A/C Compressor Reseal - Nippon-Denso 6P148A

nickyb

WAIT,you now have a pair?
10 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
nevada
Rebuild yours and use the r12 you already have. Chill.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors(?)

Mustang5L5

Put lubricant all over the balls
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I think the answer to that all depends on the state of the current system and what oil is in it.

Regardless, you kinda need a blank slate and flush out whatever unknown oil is in the system. Any residual oil in the system will settle out in the condenser if it’s not compatible with your refrigerant of choice and decrease system capacity.

Full flush, and then inject oil in the qty listed earlier in this thread into the components listed.

If you are starting from scratch, there really isn’t an advantage of one refrigerant over another. The old condensers are a serpentine style condenser that is no longer available. Any replacement condensers are a new parallel flow type that works better for r134a. So if you have replaced the condenser for a modern unit, you can really go either way.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

FastSVO

Founding Member
Jun 28, 1999
Los Angeles
Visit site
I think the answer to that all depends on the state of the current system and what oil is in it.

Regardless, you kinda need a blank slate and flush out whatever unknown oil is in the system. Any residual oil in the system will settle out in the condenser if it’s not compatible with your refrigerant of choice and decrease system capacity.

Full flush, and then inject oil in the qty listed earlier in this thread into the components listed.

If you are starting from scratch, there really isn’t an advantage of one refrigerant over another. The old condensers are a serpentine style condenser that is no longer available. Any replacement condensers are a new parallel flow type that works better for r134a. So if you have replaced the condenser for a modern unit, you can really go either way.
I guess that's what I was looking for. The condensor is the real driver here to either convert over or stick with R12. Everything on my car is original.

I keep looking on Ebay for a 6P compressor and I come across some that look very similar but not exactly what I have, even when I use those part #'s.

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
The old condensers are a serpentine style condenser that is no longer available. Any replacement condensers are a new parallel flow type t
So the condenser in my 83 could be a serpentine style that will not work well with 134a?

limp

Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Is the pressure switch what cycles the Compressor clutch off and on??
My 83 ( no computer, carbed) has this wire running through a WOT relay that I want to eliminate.....
By passing this relay, I should be able to run this wire directly from my pressure switch to the compressor clutch with no side effects???

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
On the EFI cars. The wire comes from the hvac controls, thru the low pressure cutoff switch, then thru the WOT relay and then the compressor.

limp

Oct 4, 2020
Florida
MIne is about the same, except for where the cut off switch gets power ( fuse #18) and runs through the thermactor dump control relay and the cut off relay..
I am going to start making a new engine harness ( the old one is shot) after I get the engine back in and while the dash is out. Hoping the engine will be going back in next week........
I do not think parts for the cut off switch ( which mount to the carb/throttle) will be obtainable...... Since the Tab/Tad system will not be going back on the car the thermactor dump relay will be removed and after looking at the WOT/cut off system, I would like to remove the WOT relay and wire the low pressure switch directly to the compressor clutch?/ I see no reason why this would not work, but wondering what others think?????
DSCF1067.JPG

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
You just won’t be able to turn the ac compressor off when you go wide open throttle. It’s going to put additional load on your engine when it’s already hot

limp

Oct 4, 2020
Florida
You just won’t be able to turn the ac compressor off when you go wide open throttle. It’s going to put additional load on your engine when it’s already hot
I can turn it off if i switch off the AC from the dash though, correct?