Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

The only side effect that you, me, and Collin are having as a result of a contaminated oil galley that is finally cleaning itself up with oil and filter changes, is this:

All of that residual sht that keeps ending up in the drain pan and filter is also embedded in the bearings.
Whether or not that will shorten the potential life of these engines will be a wait and see.

I don't remember if you showed us what your old bearings looked like that came out of the engine, but a bearing failure is not typically cured with just a bearing replacement. To get rid of the residue, you would've had to do a full tear down, and flush that oil galley. What you are seeing is probably what was there the minute you set that crank back in the block.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The only side effect that you, me, and Collin are having as a result of a contaminated oil galley that is finally cleaning itself up with oil and filter changes, is this:

All of that residual sht that keeps ending up in the drain pan and filter is also embedded in the bearings.
Whether or not that will shorten the potential life of these engines will be a wait and see.

I don't remember if you showed us what your old bearings looked like that came out of the engine, but a bearing failure is not typically cured with just a bearing replacement. To get rid of the residue, you would've had to do a full tear down, and flush that oil galley. What you are seeing is probably what was there the minute you set that crank back in the block.
That is true Mike, but I knew that from the jump. I'm just gonna enjoy it till she comes apart, I have other things my time and money must be put tward.

THE PLAN: ok so there is no plan per say but i have a generic idea of what i am going to do......
-wait... i am going to wait before i pull the engine back out so the car is still mobile under its own power.
-while i am waiting... install the digital dash and do some testing with it, since i have plenty of time to do it i can fix some things that need to be taken care of.
-I plan on adding some inputs to the MS for the digital dash, like fuel level and such so this is a good opportunity to do those things.
-relocate the ECU and its associated wiring under the passenger seat so its out of the way and not being stepped on.

Now while that is going on ------- fix some things around the house that need my attention
-trees trimmed
-parking area built
-drainage fixed for the dang ditch that the county has dumping water onto my property.

------------- BUILD MY SHOP ----------------
this is a stipulation from the wife :shrug: so what can i do... until this is done i cannot begin work on the engine again. I understand i mean i did have to tear it down twice already..... this is out of my control this time.

That really sucks Steve. I was hoping it was just dirt in the block. Dusty needs an oil change...but I'm nervous as hell. If theres metal in the oil it'll get a new 2.3 turbo block with ECU from ford racing for 5k. Upgrade the turbo and let her eat. I want a t56 anyways.

I'll have to get you to do some more tuning for me so I can donate to your cause.

I've been hoping I didn't need to say I was concerned about all of the brass that kept showing up in your pan. You need a complete tear down that's for sure. on one hand a 351 is the solution, but that leaves alot of fabrication to make work. The benefit to widening the deck solves all of your distribution, and fitment issues. ( think... Intake spacers). Conversely another 5.0 ( or fixing what you got) is a band aid for somebody looking to lean in as hard as you'll want to.

That settles it...351.

A 351 is the only solution to your power goals, fuel rail issues, and budget.

Youll just have to owe me for all of this advice. I'll consider taking it out in trade for future STEVE sessions.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I agree with Mike. Any factory 302 block is a zipper waiting to get ripped open. I bet if you do some thrifty shopping on CL, you can find a really good shortblock and all the accessories you need really cheap. Since you've got time, you can be patient and score some good deals....even if it's on a 302 based engine still.

Is anyone interested in the custom PD blower setup on my car??? I know alot of it is handmade but hey it works flawlessly......

Seriously.... if you are let me know. I think i may be doing a turbo lima engine in the future just to do something different.

• Surprised
Reactions: 2 users
Spent most of today looking at other things to try.....
on my list so far......

4.6l
3.8l super coupe engine
2.3l lima svo or turbo coupe engine. = I didnt know these things were bullet proof... guys taking stock SC and SVO engines and throwing huge boost at them and making 500+hp at the tires.

Spent most of today looking at other things to try.....
on my list so far......

4.6l
3.8l super coupe engine
2.3l lima svo or turbo coupe engine. = I didnt know these things were bullet proof... guys taking stock SC and SVO engines and throwing huge boost at them and making 500+hp at the tires.

None of them sound as good as a lopey pushrod V8 though :nice:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users