Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

Bench test with Dash connected to MS.
20190103_175620.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
  • Sponsors (?)

You rolling down a FL hill?
Lol, no.

I am using an expansion card that talks over canbus with the MS2 ecu. On this expansion card I built the necessary input circuits for fuel level and vss I use for MPH. The timer input circuit I used is based on a 1028 count, so the minimum mph reading is 1mph...... it's my fault as i wanted resolution st speed in exchange for min timer counts. I also built a ton of output circuits some digital on/off and one pwm output for the watermethonal solenoid for full delivery control.

The kicker is if I had just upgraded to MS3 all this comes standard.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Lol, no.

I am using an expansion card that talks over canbus with the MS2 ecu. On this expansion card I built the necessary input circuits for fuel level and vss I use for MPH. The timer input circuit I used is based on a 1028 count, so the minimum mph reading is 1mph...... it's my fault as i wanted resolution st speed in exchange for min timer counts. I also built a ton of output circuits some digital on/off and one pwm output for the watermethonal solenoid for full delivery control.

The kicker is if I had just upgraded to MS3 all this comes standard.
That looks great.

So here's the question:

I can upgrade my ecu to MS3x ( I have the stuff)

If I build a raspberry and make it a dedicated interface to act as a tuning tool, can I replace my existing "streaming only" head unit with a single din 7" touchscreen that will serve as my tuning interface. The unit I'm thinking about has a usb input.

That way, I keep a dedicated computer onboard, upgrade my existing unit to include onboard Nav, and have a redundant display/tuning interface.

What do you think?

That looks great.

So here's the question:

I can upgrade my ecu to MS3x ( I have the stuff)

If I build a raspberry and make it a dedicated interface to act as a tuning tool, can I replace my existing "streaming only" head unit with a single din 7" touchscreen that will serve as my tuning interface. The unit I'm thinking about has a usb input.

That way, I keep a dedicated computer onboard, upgrade my existing unit to include onboard Nav, and have a redundant display/tuning interface.

What do you think?
So if I understand correctly, you want to hide the raspberry display somewhere in the car and use a mounted one for the entertainment system. Then yes it's possible.
Its difficult to get things to share a screen.

Now maybe I misunderstood -the USB input on the new unit would serve as an input for the RPI, then at your choosing the rpi could be brought up on the screen. Is this correct?

The USB from the ECU would still need to be plugged into the RPi to connect to TS. What we would have to find out is how do you connect the RPi to the receiver screen.

He would need two splitters to make this possible. A splitter for the two RPi screens one to the remote and the other to the receiver screen. The second splitter would be for the receiver display for the radio display and the RPi dash display. This means the display cable that goes from the RPi to the receiver would be split twice depending on what Mike wants to look at.

Where did you get this setup? When I search for it all I find is Holley stuff.

Edit: I just checked out @stanglx2002 thread and see this is all custom with tuner studio and a raspberry pi I'm guessing? Looks great!
I am helping Kurtis out with the R&D on the product currently, there will be a few variations of it including one with a remotely mountable screen so you can use it to view/review tunes and datalogs at any time and tune without ever having to bring a laptop to the car again.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, Steve is correct that there isn't much space height wise with the current 7" screen to be able to put a larger screen in the cluster. The additional space could be used for other mechanical/electrical gauges, shift light, indicators, etc.

Nice work!
I read a while back on Stingers tech forum that someone is suppose to be developing something similar for market,
haven't heard anything else about it though.
I you could come up with a "digital dash for dummies" install guide I'd be all in.

The USB from the ECU would still need to be plugged into the RPi to connect to TS. What we would have to find out is how do you connect the RPi to the receiver screen.

He would need two splitters to make this possible. A splitter for the two RPi screens one to the remote and the other to the receiver screen. The second splitter would be for the receiver display for the radio display and the RPi dash display. This means the display cable that goes from the RPi to the receiver would be split twice depending on what Mike wants to look at.

Well....this is all from my limited understanding of this whole thing. I thought that the raspberry was the computer that allowed the permanent TS install, and the touchscreen was the display/control interface. I'm not planning on running an additional screen anywhere else, I wanted to use the one that was part of the car stereo head unit. That way if/when I wanted to mess with, or look at the engine from a tuning standpoint, I'd simply select the external USB source to display that data. Now on the other hand, if the display needs some other control cable to connect it to the rpi, ( like HDMI) I'd have to look for a different head unit.
And finally, if none of that is gonna work, it's NBD,.....I'm not changing my gauges.

Now one more thought....
If the rpi will display that stuff output through usb, but the head unit won't allow a 2 way control based on the internal touch screen's limitation, how many USB input ports can the rpi be configured to have, and can I use a BT adapter on one of those ports to allow me to use a small fold up BT keyboard to change things?

Last edited:
Well....this is all from my limited understanding of this whole thing. I thought that the raspberry was the computer that allowed the permanent TS install, and the touchscreen was the display/control interface. I'm not planning on running an additional screen anywhere else, I wanted to use the one that was part of the car stereo head unit. That way if/when I wanted to mess with, or look at the engine from a tuning standpoint, I'd simply select the external USB source to display that data. Now on the other hand, if the display needs some other control cable to connect it to the rpi, ( like HDMI) I'd have to look for a different head unit.
And finally, if none of that is gonna work, it's NBD,.....I'm not changing my gauges.
I think this is doable, they make an HDMI to USB adapter

The RPI has 4 usb slots and 1 HDMI slot. I have the MS, a wireless mini keyboard/mouse, power to my screen, and a final spot open for a usb bulkhead i will install for thumbdrive.

Last edited: