Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

Yeah, cause when I think about it, right now the MS 2 in my car is outputting everything through the BT adapter to my laptop, and my laptop is talking to the ecu back. So what I'd need is a hardwire "display only" coming off of rpi ( hopefully through USB) and a second USB for the interconnect to the Ecu, and finally a 3rd USB to allow the keyboard to control all of this.
(Course you just answered my edit) this may all be blather)

• Sponsors (?)

I think this is doable, they make an HDMI to USB adapter

The RPI has 4 usb slots and 1 HDMI slot. I have the MS, a wireless mini keyboard/mouse, power to my screen, and a final spot open for a usb bulkhead i will install for thumbdrive.

Ok then, how is the display signal output to your current screen?..it looks like you are using USB then?

Last edited:
the screen requires an HDMI input for video and is powered 5v over usb, so it has both HDMI and USB cables running to it from the RPI.
But if I'm using a car stereo that has its own power for the screen all I need is something with a single HDMI input.
This expensive, big assed thing fixes that.
61Zwlqpjb0L._SX679_.jpg

This 9" single din monster would "plug in" to my existing mount ring. The screen stays fixed outside it has an HDMI input.

But if I'm using a car stereo that has its own power for the screen all I need is something with a single HDMI input.
This expensive, big assed thing fixes that.
61Zwlqpjb0L._SX679_.jpg

This 9" single din monster would "plug in" to my existing mount ring. The screen stays fixed outside it has an HDMI input.
If your current one only has a usb input for external video source they do make HDMI to USB adapters to make the current one work.

Steve is correct that you have multiple options is regards to connecting the rpi to any screen that you choose. It just needs some type of video input to display the rpi screen.

There is also an ability to probably connect to the ECU via bluetooth just as you do now with your laptop as well, since the rpi model that I use has bluetooth capability already.

If your current one only has a usb input for external video source they do make HDMI to USB adapters to make the current one work.
The current single din is a Pioneer streaming only piece. No XM/Sirius, no CD player, no screen. When I listen to music in the car, it's either FM ( rarely) or Spotify, streaming from my phone.
If I upgrade the existing unit, I have several choices that have internal 7" screens that extend out and up that have a USB input, and only the one I pictured that has that big assed screen that remains outside with a dedicated HDMI input.

I guess that all depends on three things:
If it'll fit behind depth wise.
If it'll fit in front when it extends out, and clear the shifter and the dash itself.
If the USB/HDMI adapter displays a satisfactory resolution.

I did not get a chance to install it in the car but i did bench test it and the phone charges perfectly.
20190106_171042.jpg

Doing a bit of Test fitting here, I used 3M double sided tape for all the pieces so once they touch thats where they are going to stay. I cleaned all surfaces with alcohol before applying the tape.

20190106_190935.jpg

I had an old cigarette lighter plug loose in the bottom of a box so it got used for the project, The charger does pull wattage even when not in use so i added a relay to the circuit so it will only be on with the key.

20190106_190929.jpg

Dont mind the unused spade connector in the middle its just there so nothing can bump into the live pin on accident. The Cig circuit feeds the relay on pin30 pin 87 out to the power supply, both pin 86 and the negative are grounded together. Only thing left to do is plug it in and run a ign circuit to trigger the relay from the radio area. The cig light plug was left intact, I may use it at a later date for some kind of ambient lighting.

20190106_190925.jpg

The USB was a bit long so i just tie-wrapped it in a bundle.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users
Very nice, I love the idea of a wireless charger integrated into the console and mounted from underneath.

Was thinking that if you're getting on it, it might fly off the wireless charger but I'm guessing that the slot probably holds the phone almost perfectly huh?

Does the magnet still work well enough with the plastic in between?

The one I used does not hold with a magnet, it used a rubber pad I removed before applying the tape. The console holds my s8active very snugly with the case that's on it. I'm not worried about it jumping out of there.

In my world, that would mean, sitting at a red light it will fall out, between the seat and the console. My fat fingers won't be able to reach it. My wife will call 43 times while my phone is stuck between seat and console and out of reach. I will get home and have to remove said seat to get said phone while wife yells why didn't you stop at the grocery store OR answer my calls. Or something like that.

Reactions: 2 users
Well the led high-beam indicator I have been waiting for finally came in the mail, I will get it installed on the DD display cluster and get that permanently installed in the car sometime soon. I will be pulling the passenger seat out and relocating the ECU under it, this will require wires be extended so it may take more than a day. Then the center console can be finished up.

Reactions: 2 users