Fuel Fuel Pressure and injectors on a 86 Stang with 3.8 TBI

JJacobs

Feb 22, 2012
I am using jrichker Cranks OK but No Start checklist for fuel injected 5.0 86-95.

It is extremely well laid out and has been very helpful in trying to get my car running. Understand it is not apples to apples. I have a 3.8 TBI. It started after the prime with starting fluid step. It ran for a few minutes then shut down. The idle was surging during this time. I am stuck and confused now.

Does anyone know what the fuel pressure at the Schrader should be? I have fuel at the valve and have to get a gage on it. But as of now the fuel ran out more than squirted out. Would like to have a number to look for on the gauge.

Also the Noid light did not light on either injector when tested. But when the ignition switch is on I have 12 volts on the red wire at each injector.

Also what is the SPOUT on the PIP sensor in the distributor? It there a way to test the PIP sensor? The checklist says it originates the injector firing message to the computer.

Grateful for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

I am using jrichker Cranks OK but No Start checklist for fuel injected 5.0 86-95.

It is extremely well laid out and has been very helpful in trying to get my car running. Understand it is not apples to apples. I have a 3.8 TBI. It started after the prime with starting fluid step. It ran for a few minutes then shut down. The idle was surging during this time. I am stuck and confused now.

Does anyone know what the fuel pressure at the Schrader should be? I have fuel at the valve and have to get a gage on it. But as of now the fuel ran out more than squirted out. Would like to have a number to look for on the gauge.

Also the Noid light did not light on either injector when tested. But when the ignition switch is on I have 12 volts on the red wire at each injector.

Also what is the SPOUT on the PIP sensor in the distributor? It there a way to test the PIP sensor? The checklist says it originates the injector firing message to the computer.

Grateful for any help!

jricker or anyone else. Helppp!!!. I finaly figured out becaus of antothe Jricker post, where the Spout is. Pulled it no run.

The last time this happened. Maybe si years ago and not knowing what I was doing, no checklist. I replaced the fuel pump. fuel pump relay, and computer. Still did not start. In frustration i had it towed to a garage. They sprayed either in it and got it started and it kept running. I had done the same a dozen times and it would not stay running.

Brought it home and other to move it in and out of the garage, it sat. About two years ago I drove it a short distance and it just cut off and would not start. It has sat as a monument to my lack of knowledge since.

Now you have the whole history. I am thinking it is the PIP. Before I attempt replacing the distributor. I am hoping jricker or other knowledgeable guys chime in.

So frustrated at my own stupidity!

Can you post a pic of the distributor? I'm not familiar with that motor or setup. On the later 5.0 cars the distributor has a TFI on the outside and the PIP inside the distributor. If either are bad you get no spark. The TFI isn't hard to replace. The PIP requires the removal of the distributor and you have to remove the drive gear and take the distributor apart.

I'm not advocating that you start throwing parts at it without knowing what is wrong. I am posting the above based on your comment that you got nothing with the noid light test.

Have you replaced the cap or rotor on the distributor? I would ask about the plugs and wires, but if you are not getting a signal at the injectors something else is wrong.

I guess an easy way to at least check that you are getting spark is to pull one of the plugs. Leave it attached to the plug wire and distributor. Lay it on the motor somewhere so that it grounds it. Have someone crank on it while you watch the spark plug. You should see it arching. That will only tell you that you are getting spark. It will not tell you if the TFI or the internal PIP are bad.

Take the above with a grain of salt. I am not a mechanic just a hobbyist. If I was working on this car these are a few of the things that I would be trying.

I found this link illustrating the process for replacing the PIP if you decide to go that route.

Used jricher checklist and I am stuck. No Niod light so I am pretty sure the injectors in the throttle body are not firing. Pulled the Spout. Would not start. I got an OBD1 code reader. It initially would not pull codes. After numerous tries it did. It pulled codes 11, 10 and 15. Fired it up for a few minutes with gas in the throtell. Now the OBD1 will not pull codes. I am at a loss. Leaning towards the pip, Hate to have to replace a distributor if that not it!

How do I get the code reader working? Will it tell me if it is the PIP? Where should I go from here?

What's the point of starting a new thread when you already have another going on the same subject?

What's the point of starting a new thread when you already have another going on the same subject?
Thanks for the heads up, didn't notice that stuff was missing. Looking at too many things at once, I'll see if I can stick this all together.