Garage Floor coating?

BruceinFL

Nov 6, 2021
United kingdom
I recently bought a house that was built in 1996 and I'd like to get some sort of surface coating down on the garage floor before I move in there. The current house I live in was built in 2012 and every 2 years I applied concrete garage paint to the floor to protect it. It was not a permanent solution since I did not intend to be there long term. It was relatively easy and inexpensive to do. The house I'll be moving into is a long term move. Unfortunately, I did not take note of what condition the concrete garage floor was in when I looked at the house during the showing but I have to imagine that it may need at least some minor work.

Obviously having it done professionally is the ideal solution. Hiring a company to treat and prep the existing concrete, and then apply a polyurea or epoxy coat that has a long term warranty is what I'd like to do. However, I'm experiencing some logistical issues with that because I would need to have it done prior to moving anything into the garage. Some of these companies that I could hire are backed up for weeks out and they can't just drop what they're doing to do mine. Once I get my stuff in there, removing it for a few days again really isn't an option.

I've considered just trying to do it myself with one of those DIY Epoxy Shield kits. Anyone ever try these? How difficult was it? Were you satisfied with the results?

• Sponsors (?)

BruceinFL

Nov 6, 2021
United kingdom
I recently bought a house that was built in 1996 and I'd like to get some sort of surface coating down on the garage floor before I move in there. The current house I live in was built in 2012 and every 2 years I applied concrete garage paint to the floor to protect it. It was not a permanent solution since I did not intend to be there long term. It was relatively easy and inexpensive to do. The house I'll be moving into is a long term move. Unfortunately, I did not take note of what condition the concrete garage floor was in when I looked at the house during the showing but I have to imagine that it may need at least some minor work.

Obviously having it done professionally is the ideal solution. Hiring a company to treat and prep the existing concrete, and then apply a polyurea or epoxy coat that has a long term warranty is what I'd like to do. However, I'm experiencing some logistical issues with that because I would need to have it done prior to moving anything into the garage. Some of these companies that I could hire are backed up for weeks out and they can't just drop what they're doing to do mine. Once I get my stuff in there, removing it for a few days again really isn't an option.

I've considered just trying to do it myself with one of those DIY Epoxy Shield kits. Anyone ever try these? How difficult was it? Were you satisfied with the results? garage flooring lake havasu
thanks in advance for any help

nickyb

WAIT,you now have a pair?
10 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
nevada
We bought our house in 2000 (new) , wife and I got three kits from homie depot. We cleaned the floor extremely well then began.
22 years s later it's still down , I spilled brake fluid,gas,oil,trans,rear end grease, brake cleaner and whatever else,still mops up clean.

Attachments

• IMG_20210401_110752_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20210401_110752_hdr.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 18

Potomus Pete

I'm still waiting for the fully nude shots
Mar 7, 2019
Sarasota Florida
If its concrete now with nothing on it your good. U Tube epoxies ,and google a coatings supply store in your area. It costs quite a bit for materials if you want to do a base coat epoxy, sprinkles/flecks then finish clear. If you have stain/color down already then you have a small issue. You can pour a little denatured alcahol down if no color comes up then you can only put down Xylene/sylicone based products on it. Nothing will stick to Xylene if thats whats on there, so you have to go to Home Depot and rent a big grinder....Hopefully you have clean concrete and can put down a nice epoxy floor.