Fuel Gas Tank Replacement Parts Checklist - Where to buy? - 1987 Notchback Preservation

1987Notcher

Dec 16, 2019
PA
Hello everyone, new to the forum! I just picked up a 1987 Notchback and am working on getting it roadworthy. This was a local 2 owner car. Spent the last 15 years sitting in a garage. I am doing a preservation and will be driving/racing the car. Mechanical items will be my priority to get it running. Picture attached for starters!!

First on my list was the fuel system. Figured it would be easier just to replace all since the gas has been sitting for so long. Items listed below. Am I missing anything? Preference on a place to purchase? Any info appreciated!

Trunk to filler neck gasket
Filler neck to gas door gasket
filler neck to tank gasket
tank
fuel filter
sending unit
sending unit gasket and lock ring
Fuel pump
Fuel pump gasket and lock ring
Went tube gasket (will use original vent tube)
New fuel line at tank
Vibration pads

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Sponsors (?)

Rockauto for the tank. Spectra Premium is the one to get. Same one LRS sells but minus the jacked up price.

Spectra also makes the fuel pump hanger, available on rock auto.

LRS does have the fuel lines, and fuel tank pads, and for all the gaskets, I recommend getting Ford OEM gaskets. They are still available. For fuel pump, go walbro, and for filter, a motorcraft part. misc hardware and straps can be LRS hardware. The straps can be tight, so I recommend going to local hardware store and matching up the strap bolts and getting them a little bit longer to make install easier.

I did this myself last winter. Everything new except the fuel level sender

263CC06B-5919-43F7-92CE-7E99C73BBF71.jpeg

B9E1D63E-F485-45E5-B8DB-D3956607ACD3.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 5 users
Rockauto for the tank. Spectra Premium is the one to get. Same one LRS sells but minus the jacked up price.

LRS does have the fuel lines, and fuel tank pads, and for all the gaskets, I recommend getting Ford OEM gaskets. They are still available. For fuel pump, go walbro, and for filter, a motorcraft part. misc hardware and straps can be LRS hardware. The straps can be tight, so I recommend going to local hardware store and matching up the strap bolts and getting them a little bit longer to make install easier.

263CC06B-5919-43F7-92CE-7E99C73BBF71.jpeg

B9E1D63E-F485-45E5-B8DB-D3956607ACD3.jpeg
By far the best looking gas tank I've ever seen! Dang

Reactions: 1 user

Really nice. Does the tank come from RockAuto like this or did you have to paint it yourself?

Take a few minutes to make a fuel tank cradle. It really makes removal and installation a breeze!

Reactions: 1 user