Gasket goo (perma-gasket?) for the oil pan gasket?

praugue

Sep 18, 2007
I need to have the oil pan gasket replaced on the '89 5.0. I was told it's about a 4 hour job due to the shape. This will cost close to $350 to have it done.

Could I lower the pan just a half inch and use gasket goo? A bead on the inside and tighten it up.

• Sponsors (?)

It might help, but it might make the problem worse, too. Lowering the pan half an inch doesn't leave you much room to clean off any oil that's going to get between the pan and gasket, which won't allow any RTV to properly seal.

Do you have a place to work on it? It isnt that hard to pull the engine and change the pan gasket.

don't even need to pull the engine , unbolt the motor mounts and either devise a way to jack it up or use an engine lift to tug on it as you go about unbolting the pan the replacing the gasket.

When you pry the pan down, you're likely going to destroy any part of the gasket that didn't leak before you pulled it down...so IMO you really need to take the pan out or at least lift the engine enough to replace the gasket right.