Engine Gonna buy streetheat,and 65 mm tb

So does the egr spacer need the coolant hoses ? It never gets cold here in Nevada.If I by pass them do I just use a hose connecting to both sides ?

Attachments

• IMG_20210116_103005_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20210116_103005_hdr.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 57
  • Sponsors (?)

So does the egr spacer need the coolant hoses ? It never gets cold here in Nevada.If I by pass them do I just use a hose connecting to both sides ?
You can cap them and the manifold barbs off. The EGR might still be hotter than the coolant any that point, but it was not a problem on the ‘91 I fixed up. The main thing is to not use vacuum caps on the manifold barbs. The are not reinforced and soon leak under pressure and cut under a clamp.
If you have the nipples on the spacer and the manifold, EFI hose the right size to run the coolant is plenty heavy and is a longer term solution than trying to cap them off.

Or plug in the back of the intake and JB weld and hammer and dolly to flatten the barb on the heater tube.
I though the coolant through the egr plate was to 'cool' the recirculating exhaust gases.
Meh, what do I know

The egr spacer has been tapped and plugs installed by p.o. (See pic) I'd like to run a hose from front to back so if I choose later took hook it back up everything is still good.I'm not worried about Ice here, and doesn't the egr just put exhaust back in intake till engine is warmed up?

Attachments

• IMG_20210116_103005_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20210116_103005_hdr.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 55
Read post #8 from jrichker here. The thread should be about EGR and the AIR system as both are for smog control, and post #8 clears it up.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Now next is how to remove the brass insert in lower manifold.see pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20210118_203954_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20210118_203954_hdr.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 55
The only issue I've heard of with BBK throttle bodies is their tendency to whistle at or near idle.
I've read you can remedy this by drilling a small hole in the butterfly plate.
I have a 75mm BBK and yes occasionally it will whistle just off idle but never enough to bother me
some day I may drill it.
Mac throttle bodies also had a whistle to them, my buddy had one on his 92 LX and it was noticeable for sure.

I've noticed that my stock tb has a hole in the blade and so does the explorer gt40 tb. Neither of them whistle so maybe drilling the same size hole in the same location is what stops the noise.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I've read when I was looking into it the belief at the time was air going past the opening of the egr plate was causing the noise, the fix was to round off the sharp edges of the openings, there was mixed results IIRC.
When I get the junk pile running again I've got stuff to experiment with.

Well since I have it on my bench I'll smooth out any rough edges on the spacer and for good measure drill the same size hole as one throttle body has on the blade.

The hole in the plate is for extra idle air without the plate being so open that the TPS bring out of range.
Rounding the IAC passage corners will not affect flow much, but should affect whistling greatly.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users