Has anyone put gauges in place of center A/C registers on a '69?

oz

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2000
Plymouth, MI
I ask because the PO of my '69 put a replacement dash pad w/ A/C vents on my non-A/C car. Since there are no ducts feeding these registers I thought I could pop out the internal part of the registers (the part that rotates to redirect air) and make mounting plates for gauges to put in their place.

I picture making thin wood plates with a hole in the middle, covering them with vinyl and then painting them the same color as the dash, mounting the gauges to the plates and then mounting the plates in the rectangular holes, while retaining the outer trim rings in the dash.

Anybody ever done or seen anything like this? Any suggestions?

THANKS!

• Sponsors (?)

The PO of my '70 did a real s***y job of sticking 2 gauges right into the dash pad itself on a non/ac pad. I like the gauge location (easy to see) but the gauges are POS and I don't like them cut into the dash. I would imagine that you could either buy or make a nice plate to install where the vents are but if you are doing this just to fill/cover the unused vents, I would replace the pad w/ a non-ac unit and sell your current pad if I were you.

The PO also stuck, and I mean STUCK, a POS tach right into the speaker grill on top of the dash!!??

Whatever I do, it will be well done. No half-a$$ing it.
I am just looking for ideas. Right now I plan to vinyl wrap inserts that perfectly fit the vent holes and then using vinyl dye to color match the inserts to the dash pad.
If there's a better idea out there I'd love to hear it.

The theme of my car is a stock appearing horsepower machine. The car should be in the mid 10's on the bottle and high 11's on motor. Everything is out of sight and it took some ingenuity to get the gauges mounted where I like them.

I have oil pressure, water temp and voltmeter in my Glovebox, and a small tach in my A/C vent on the lower dash drivers side. When you look in the car you can't see it, but when seated in my position it is visible.

My interior looks EXTREMELY dirty in this picture and I really need to take another one so I'm not ashamed, but here is my work. (I need the original steering wheel too, anyone want to help a stanger out?)

Attachments

• interiorDIRTY.JPG
    interiorDIRTY.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 123
Those are good ideas. I kind of wish I had the regular non-A/C dash pad now since it looks pretty easy to install the gauges into it. Maybe I'll bit the bullet and buy one - just to cut holes in it...:rolleyes:

Thanks.