Has anyone ran their supercharger oil return straight to the oil drain in the pan?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't own a supercharger(as of yet) but I would think you would have a greater chance of picking up debris from the motor is you tapped from the drain hole, that is pretty much where all sediments lay, I wouldn't take the chance of clogging a line in a $2k- $3k investment. Be again that's just me :rolleyes:

Its really not to hard just read the instructions. Mine came w/ a good punch and specified what size TAP I would need. Take your time and you wont have anything to worry about.

If you put the oil drain below the oil level the oil would not drain back to the pan. Follow the directions and put the fitting where they ask you to, if you don't like the idea of the tab you can pull the pan and weld a bung in.

Pack the tap full of thick grease, this will keep most of the debris out of the motor, flush it out, drain the oil and your good to go. Make sure you do not go to big with the punch or you'll have issues...

OR

Buy an ATI that is self contained, no oil return at all ;)

Rick is right on. i have always had some sort of anal-worry a lot issues, and even using grease on the tap makes me uneasy (peace of mind thing - knowing any and all shavings did not make it into the pan, and remained) - i like the self contained oiling idea. ill never be able to afford a blower, but that is the route to go, IMHO (i think blowers are a lot more oil friendly, but ive had turbos that absolutely cooked even synthetic oil - love seeing the oil pressure take a dump cuz you have a glowing turbo frying the oil.

well, my post had nothing to do with anything, so im leaving now. carry on. :)

Rick 91GT said:
If you put the oil drain below the oil level the oil would not drain back to the pan. Follow the directions and put the fitting where they ask you to, if you don't like the idea of the tab you can pull the pan and weld a bung in.

Pack the tap full of thick grease, this will keep most of the debris out of the motor, flush it out, drain the oil and your good to go. Make sure you do not go to big with the punch or you'll have issues...

OR

Buy an ATI that is self contained, no oil return at all ;)

yep if you read the directions it has to be above the oil line otherwise the supercharger won't drain and it will overheat

Whytry91 said:
I don't own a supercharger(as of yet) but I would think you would have a greater chance of picking up debris from the motor is you tapped from the drain hole, that is pretty much where all sediments lay, I wouldn't take the chance of clogging a line in a $2k- $3k investment. Be again that's just me :rolleyes:
that is why you run it on a by-pass so everything get's filtered.