Has Anyonr Retrofited A Newer Mustang Rear Anti Swaybar To 67 Mustang

oscar Marquez

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2002
Rockaway, NJ
Hello, Need a little help,
Will this idea work?
Has anyone retrofitted either a 2000 Mustang GT of 2007 Mustang GT rear anti swaybar to the rear of a 67 Mustang. I have them both and just didn't want to buy a new one if a stock one from those years could be retrofitted.
thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

why would you want to try and retrofit the newer bars to the older car? the problem you are going to have is your chassis balance will be off due to the differing roll stiffness rates. your best bet is to sell those bars, and buy a proper rear bar for the 67.

Yea you are probably right, I thought it would be a simple retrofit since other people have aperantly done it before. I thought since I already had the bard it would also be cheaper. But the new rear sway bar price aren't bad they are around $120so I think I'll just get a new one!
Thanks

I've been away for a long time, late response and you already went with an Addco, but you can make anything work. I have a 2003 Mustang swaybar in the rear of my 66. What you want is a balance between front and rear sway bars. 1-1/8" front swaybar should be paired with a 7/8" rear, 1" front paired with a 3/4" rear. I installed a 03 Cobra IRS which came with a swaybar so I cheated. I could see making a custom mounts to get the bar to work in the rear if thats what you wanted to do.

I never liked the factory end link setup for the rear sway bar. I didnt like dilling through the thin sheet metal of the frame rail and have even seen the brackets tear through the frame rails in some instances. I take a length of fine threaded 1/2" all-thread to replace the end link. I drill a hole in the trink floor between the frame rail and the wheel well seem, this is 3 layers thick. I still place thick washers on either side of the trunk floor for reinforcement. Use one side of the end link bushings on the all thread with nylon lock nuts. On the other end of the all thread hanging down I use female ended heim joint (spherical bearing rod end). On the sway bar, I mount a big steel eyelet sandwhiched with washers to keet it in place on the bar ends. Run a through bolt between the spherical rod end and eyelet and I think a 1/2" spacer in between to bridge the gap. The more solidly mounted the sway bar is (less rubber/poly) the more effective it is.