Have a groaning-type noise coming from my SN95 brakes, what is it?

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
Ever since I did my five lug, occasionally I get this kind of groaning noise that sounds like it is coming from the front end, and I can't seem to nail down where it is coming from. I'm running 95 spindles with used calipers/pads off a 97 V6 car, still running drums in the back, just five lug axles and ranger drums. I "thought" it was the caliper brackets on the front, but after a couple of re-torques it didn't go away. It also isn't consistent. Like just now on my drive home (27 miles with about 18 lights) it only did it once that I could hear. I checked pretty much everything, and nothing seems loose.

The little flimsy metal shields (idk what they are called, they slip in between the pads and caliper) and pretty beat/bent up. I also have a chirping noise that is coming from the pads at low speeds with light pedal pressure (similar situation as the groan), but that is from the anti squeal paint being worn off the pads. However just like the groan it goes away when I apply more pressure to the pedal (not a lot, just normal braking). The car stops good, doesn't pull, vibrate, shimmy, or do any other odd thing other then this noise. Nothing is loose either, I checked it with the front end in the air and its not the hub bearings. Does anybody have any kind of idea what is going on here?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Sure sounds like the harmonics disk brakes like to create, but usually it's the rear disks, which you don't have. I've got a tremendous moan with my Cobra rear disk conversion, and I will probably have to resort to the anti-moan brackets, if I can find them. I'm not sure what the cure is for front disks. I'm running ceramic pads from O-Reilly's up front with the SN95 disks, and they are quiet and smooth.

I guess there is also the possibility the bearings in the hub could be going out as well.

I guess there is also the possibility the bearings in the hub could be going out as well.

I think it may be just characteristic of this particular set of brakes. I don't think it is the hub bearings b/c it isn't constant, and there isn't any play in the hubs when I pull/push on the wheel with my hands at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions.

I think it may be just characteristic of this particular set of brakes. I don't think it is the hub bearings b/c it isn't constant, and there isn't any play in the hubs when I pull/push on the wheel with my hands at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions.

I thought that was a test for the tie rods?

Groaning me and something is loose causing harmonics. Go over the nuts and bolts and double check it's tight. Some anti seize between hub and rotor helps too. Could be the pads and rotors as well.

That's a thought, check and make sure you have the quieting shims on the back of the pads. Some just stick on now days. I'm not sure you can find the shim kits seperately (I couldn't), but it might be worth getting a new set of pads if it stopped the noise (?)

Groaning me and something is loose causing harmonics. Go over the nuts and bolts and double check it's tight. Some anti seize between hub and rotor helps too. Could be the pads and rotors as well.

That's a thought, check and make sure you have the quieting shims on the back of the pads. Some just stick on now days. I'm not sure you can find the shim kits seperately (I couldn't), but it might be worth getting a new set of pads if it stopped the noise (?)

I re-torqued the caliper bolts and caliper brackets twice (over the course of a few hundred miles) and they weren't ever loose. I put high temp brake grease all over the metal shims, pad backs, sliders, and bolts. I didn't think to put any between the hub and rotor. The metal shims on the pads are pretty beat, I had to bend them back into shape a bit to get them to stay in place while I reseated the caliper. I'm mostly concerned with losing control of the car due to a part failure and injuring someone, myself, and at the very least tearing up my car. If it is just some noise I can deal with it since I plan to put Cobra brakes on it later anyhow.