Have some hot chocolate looking oil in my air oil seperator?

daddystang

Aug 13, 2006
Noticed this after I took it for a bit of a long ride after it sitting most of the winter. I also noticed a little in the oil filler tube in the valve cover. Could this just be from condesation from sitting so long, and only being started occasionally for a few minutes at a time just to keep the battery charged. I'm thinking it probably is, because a most of the times that I started it some water spit out of the tail pipes, and left a little puddle under each. It didn't smell or look like antifreeze. I looked in the radiator, and there didn't seem to be any missing, or any oil floating in it. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

I would do an oil change and see what the rest of the oil looks like. Headgaskets at about 140k is not an uncommon thing to replace because the stock ones just give out. Compression and leakdown test would be a good way to find out too. Mine spits out water while it is warming up too. For every gal of gas you burn, you get a quart of water(usually in vapor) but if you are storing the car for winter you probably have a cold climate so it could be just condensation too.
Kevin

I would do an oil change and see what the rest of the oil looks like. Headgaskets at about 140k is not an uncommon thing to replace because the stock ones just give out. Compression and leakdown test would be a good way to find out too. Mine spits out water while it is warming up too. For every gal of gas you burn, you get a quart of water(usually in vapor) but if you are storing the car for winter you probably have a cold climate so it could be just condensation too.
Kevin

+1

When you burn any hydrocarbon (gasoline included), some amount of water is produced. Water dripping from the tailpipes is common and shouldn't worry you. Not to say that what you are seeing with the oil isn't a concern in itself. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses. I changed the oil, and it looked good. No hot chocolate or anything like that. How do I pressure test the cooling system? Is that some sort of a pump you connect to the radiator filler? Can you buy that somewhere like Autozone? Thanks for the quick responses. Thanks very much.

Thanks for the responses. I changed the oil, and it looked good. No hot chocolate or anything like that. How do I pressure test the cooling system? Is that some sort of a pump you connect to the radiator filler? Can you buy that somewhere like Autozone? Thanks for the quick responses. Thanks very much.
Yep... it's just a pump that will pressurize the cooling system via the rad. cap.

Any decent parts store will have one.... :nice:

I lost a motor to a small HG failure, so it is worth the time to check it if there is any question in your mind....

Another quick test is to look in your radiator when the motor is on and see if you see bubbles. The pressure typically will change a bit so your water level will bounce around a bit too. Not foolproof checks but quick ones.
Kevin