Electrical Hazard Switch plug fix

Wayne Waldrep

Before I post a pic, do you have one of yours?
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
Been looking around and searching and can't find a fix for this other than a $36 pigtail!!! My dash pod has been out an embarrassing number of times. Long ago I wasn't as gentle with the wiring as I am now. When I last pulled the whole dash out for the heater core etc, I took all the wiring apart and got rid of the factory wrap that was constantly falling out from under the dash. I cleaned and retaped the whole under-dash wiring harness. I guess this made my plug at the hazard switch a little bit short or it just gave up after all these years. It's a little short for removal easily. It's not stretched when the switch is placed in there. I do however have one wire that won't stay pinned and this is causing my hazards and blinkers to not work. Has anyone had any luck fixing something like this? Seems like there has to be a technique for keeping one wire in a plug without cutting the thing off and replacing. I surely am not spending $36 on a plug. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

reference LMR Plug:
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-14411H/mustang-hazard-switch-repair-harness-8793

• Sponsors (?)

My '93 has that same wire problem. There is a plastic retainer in the plastic clip that holds the contact in. Mine is still in there but will let it slip passed if you're not careful. I'm able to just push mine on after attaching the plug and it holds fine. You could retention the contact to bite harder or just go to a junk yard and find a used connector end to replace the whole deal or just the plastic housing if your contacts are in good shape.

My '93 has that same wire problem. There is a plastic retainer in the plastic clip that holds the contact in. Mine is still in there but will let it slip passed if you're not careful. I'm able to just push mine on after attaching the plug and it holds fine. You could retention the contact to bite harder or just go to a junk yard and find a used connector end to replace the whole deal or just the plastic housing if your contacts are in good shape.
There's a plastic retainer in that plug? I haven't taken it apart yet but it is one of the plugs that has the little clip made in there that you have to depress to get the wire out. That's what I thought anyway. I'll look closer. I have no option for wrecking yard foxes. There are none around here. I haven't seen a fox body in a yard around here for longer than I remember. I was thinking maybe push it all the way in the plug then secure it to the next wire over so it can't back out. With the number of these cars though I am hoping someone came up with a brilliant fix....waiting on it...lol. Thanks for the reply.

If the only problem is that the wires won't stay in the plastic shell, a hobby type hot glue gun with HI-temp hot glue is the fix. The smaller hot glue gun that uses /1/4" glue sticks is just the right size for the job.

Reactions: 1 user
If the only problem is that the wires won't stay in the plastic shell, a hobby type hot glue gun with HI-temp hot glue is the fix. The smaller hot glue gun that uses /1/4" glue sticks is just the right size for the job.
Cool. I was wondering about glue but I've never had any that would hold. I see people on youtube all the time hot gluing wood down then routing it with a CNC. I was amazed. Thanks!! I'll look into it.