Heads, Cam

I am wondering what heads would be best for a e303 cam or a TFS1 cam. My original thought was gt40 heads because cheap and easy, but I have a little more to spend now so I am trying to explore best options. End goal is 325-400 flywheel hp. Right now is bone stock, have a ADOE trans (auto) and 3.73 gears that still need to be put in. Budget would be $1.5-2k or lower of course.

• Sponsors (?)

I recommend no cam. From what I'v read you will have less problems with idle in the future. A better street car with a mild set of heads, and you will save money. Then you won't have to take the front of your motor apart leading possible future issues. That's just my take on it if I was going to upgrade my own car.

Added displacement will make that power goal easier to attain and to drive. 1.34 Hp/ci with natural induction is going to take a comprehensive build plan, and not Gt40 heads.
1.15 Hp/ci from a 347 is going to have a more useable torque band. But you still will need heads that flow enough, pistons that clear the big valve diameter and cam lift, and intake and exhaust that flow enough.

The General is right about the money hole/whole plan. ;-) do it right the first time.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with those two, not because I have vast experience but from knowing them here. Look, brand X made 275 to 325+ hp from 350 cubes with crappy exhaust manifolds. You take a 5.0 push rod engine and build it to 400 hp it can get a little rowdy, an auto can tone it down a little, as said, go big or go home.
Ok, that's not what was said, now what was implied was make a plan, be realistic about how the car will be driven and consider the total package.
Then stick a 671 blower on it with a couple carbs on top.
Who cares if you can't see past it, it looks cool. :jester: :jester:

Joking aside, the blower route, centrifugal or Roots, is a big part of the traditional way to get to the power level goal with Gt40 heads. The cool factor vs the surprise factor comes into play. Not that a 400 Hp 302 build will be subtle, but well tuned, it could be passed off as a regular 302 with Dronemasters.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user