help: a lot of noise w/ new Cobra caliper + rotors + pads

hapaxtian

Jun 3, 2005
hey guys,

i have had my cobra calipers and pads, along with after market cross/drilled rotors install on my 2000 mustang.

since then it has been making a lot of noise, especially from the right front side. i am wondering is it normal? the noise is constant and remains the same even if i press the brake. it makes a scraping noise per every rotation.

is this something normal?! :shrug:

also, the brake feels a little bit sluggish compared to before...

• Sponsors (?)

hapaxtian said:
hey guys,

i have had my cobra calipers and pads, along with after market cross/drilled rotors install on my 2000 mustang.

since then it has been making a lot of noise, especially from the right front side. i am wondering is it normal? the noise is constant and remains the same even if i press the brake. it makes a scraping noise per every rotation.

is this something normal?! :shrug:

also, the brake feels a little bit sluggish compared to before...

Sounds like the metal dust cover behind the rotor might be touching...take the wheel off and have a look...if this is what's happening, you can littlerally push the cover back with your fingers.

Check to see if the caliper guide is contacting the rotor.

SOmetimes if you get a little rust on the spindle or the bolting flange the plate doesn't bolt on flush and the guid contacts the rotor as it spins.

Best way to install the calipers is to put the rotor on and bolt it on tight with two lug nuts. Then install the caliper guid WITHOUT the caliper and pads. This way you can check the clearance of the rotor to the sides of the guide. Then install the pads into the caliper, pivot it down into the guide and install the pin.

are there different ways to bleed the brakes? i just opened the value and keep pressing on the brake and continously refill the brake fluid.

i am going to go check the dust plate... but should i remove it? 2001sleeper says to remove it.. but is it necessary?

hapaxtian said:
are there different ways to bleed the brakes? i just opened the value and keep pressing on the brake and continously refill the brake fluid.

i am going to go check the dust plate... but should i remove it? 2001sleeper says to remove it.. but is it necessary?

My dust plate was scraping on the front left...right after install...so we zipped off the wheel...saw what was happening and simply gave it a nudge and she's fine. It's like a piece of tin...so you can bend it a bit if needed.

I guess if you want brake dust covering your front suspension...you can remove the dust plate. It's staying put on mine.

I'm not a mechanic...but I'm pretty impressed with the guys at my shop of choice (and I'm real fuggin picky)...they know their stuff...if that cover wasn't supposed to be there...it wouldn't be IMO.

Good luck. :cheers: