help fuel pump fuse is starting blow more an more frequent! 32000 3.8L V6

i have no clue where to start after replacing my fuel pump in my 2000 3.8L v6, when my car died out of the blue the other day i checked spark, ok checked fuel rail no pressure so i assumed fuel pump went out, so i replaced it from a 2004 mustang v6, when the new to me fuel pump didnt come on i THEN CHECKED MY FUSES and found the pump fuse was blown! god i felt so stupid for not checking my fuses 1st! all that hard work that didnt need to happen! butim still getting the problem of the fuse blowing for no reason out of the blue .. so far its happening while im close to my home and not driving my car hard... can anyone point me in the right direction on what else to look into to fix this problem? ive never had this problem before in my 35 yrs of fixing my own sh*t!

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly it sounds like you need to find a wiring diagram and start chasing the fuel pump wiring, I’d vote to start at the inertia switch since it’s kinda easy lol .
Welcome to Stangnet, others will be by soon to give you more advice
:welcome: to :SN: :demon:

Are you POSITIVE that it's the fuel pump fuse that is blowing? In some V6 owner's manuals there's an error. The PCM and fuel pump fuse are labeled backwards.

1999-2004 MY fuse panel schedule:

Next perform a very through visual inspection of all of the visible wiring harness in the car. Look for any evidence of external damage. Rodent activity. Water.

If this were my car I would disconnect the Trunk mounted IFS switch and then place a test light pig tail on battery positive. The "probe" then goes to the side of the IFS switch towards the CCRM. What this should give you is a test light that will "light" if the fuel pump power feed circuit is ground faulted. Now begin performing "wiggle" tests up and down the harness. What you are looking for is to see IF the test light ever lights as this indicates a ground fault.

Do this test with the key OFF. Always verify the test light works by touching to a ground. This should light the test light. This testing method has the advantage that it does not consume fuses.

Last edited: