Help! I’m drowning in Mustang parts and I want out.

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
CT-USA
I used to play with my toys all the time. OK, that was 10 years ago. Now I just want out. 20 + years of collecting parts and now I just want the cars and the parts gone. I have five 71-73 Mustangs in various stages of disrepair: from almost junk to very restorable. Nothing is complete and I have many NOS parts. I could start a business just selling parts on eBay, but that’s more time than I’m willing to invest. So here is my question: Since nothing is completely assembled what’s the best way to sell all of this stuff without completely losing my shirt? My preference would be to have someone with a shop just take the whole lot.

Any advice appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Why not come up with a total price and put the whole lot on eBay? Local pick-up only. Someone will come up with a trailer and trail away the whole mess. (Wish you had 70 parts...)

I know you're right. I also know that as soon as I start taking all these parts out for photographs I'll get sucked right back in again. Ever since I got a $15,000 quote for a complete paint job, I've been tempted to take the 73 Mach1 to Maaco, but I know I'll just start spending money on the mechanicals.

(I reserve the right to change my mind - as I seem to be doing that hourly)

You'd be surprised with Maaco. I just had my car done at Mustang Madness Motorsports in Portland, Connecticut and they painted my stripes crooked. THAT was a $15K job...(of course extensive body work was also done...)

Ooh, that was your thread. I remember that. So sorry. Mine was quoted from Atwood Auto Appearance in Deep River. I asked him to lower his quote, but he didn't want his name associated with anything less than perfect. I respect his position, but it's not a recoverable investment.

See either Frank at Advanced Auto in East Granby, or Spike at Spike's Painting in Southwick. Spike is really excellent (although ow he won't talk to me given I gave the work to MMMS....) If I had the option, I would have chosen Spike.

Platonic Solid, where in CT are you? I used to keep a boat at Brewers in Deep River. I have a 65 but if you are considering any piecemeal sales, I might have some interest if I could use anything on it.