Engine UPDATED WITH FIX IN POST #49 Help with sputter issue with cold starts

Today I pulled the upper intake to replace the freeze plugs. When I did I noticed a lot of oil on where the throttle linkage is, it was soaked on the bottom with oil and I could see where it has dripped onto my passenger side valve cover. I pulled the intake and found oil in the throttle body, almost pooled.

The oil has been running down the throttle body shaft following gravity into the throttle cable linkage.

My question is, could this be where my vacuum leak is? Could it be unmetered air coming in through that throttle body shaft into the intake causing issues on startup?

Here is a pic with the intake and throttle body upside down. I didn't have the oil leaking here prior to the Systemax intake so I'll try to figure out how to run a catch can in between the PVC and the intake.

(PVC, grommet and screen are new, lower intake baffle is in place)

Attachments

• 20200524_155107.jpg
    20200524_155107.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200524_151517.jpg
    20200524_151517.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

You need to find out where the oil is coming from.
A catch can I believe will treat the symptom. Like putting oil on a squeaky fan belt, it will not squeak bit still needs to be fixed.
Sounds like it is a common issue with Holley Systemax intakes, I didn't have this oil issue prior to the Systemax.

Does the throttlebody need to be replaced?

Im ghetto, so if mine does this when i install it, ill prob. just JB weld those babies. Glad i skimmed thru this. GL.

Edit: doh, didnt see last post before comment.

You checked the TPS voltage eh?

Im ghetto, so if mine does this when i install it, ill prob. just JB weld those babies. Glad i skimmed thru this. GL.

Edit: doh, didnt see last post before comment.

You checked the TPS voltage eh?

Yeah, TPS is set at .85.

I ran the codes again today and get 12 KOER. I'll clean the IAB / IAC tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 user
It only happening cold and not hot eliminates a lot of things. Some of my thoughts: Id try a TFI if you can return it. Sounds vacuum related, but then the cold/hot thing eliminates that. Didnt sound all that bad in the video. Ignition coil if you aint got a fresh one.

2nd thought, maybe its suckin oil down on cool start up and bogging the engine. Add a valve cover filter? You got a lot of oil consumption going on?

GL.

I disconnected the battery, disconnected the IAC and then pulled it off. I let it soak with brake cleaner and cleaned it out with brake cleaner and Q-Tips. The IAC was new, only about 2K miles on it but it was pretty gummed up.

I let it dry and reinstalled it.

It seemed to have cured my start issue as of now so it seems like it was the dumb IAC the entire time.

Reactions: 1 users