Hey everyone, I'm new here, please help a girl out with some advice! Sell or restore?

Howdy y'all . What to do ? What to do ! Hmmmm . What I would do and what I would do if still was in California. On what part of the fence. Used engine in Cali are abundant and cheap. You can literally pick one up for less then 200 bucks at pick a part . I know that there is limited skill but skills can be learned. But reality and demographic area's can weigh heavily on projects . You say it has been parked fo 6 years. Have you been keeping the registration up to date . The back fees on that is a substantial hit. Second platform damage ( frame it's a unibody it doesn't have a frame ) multiple damages. Third it's a very. It's heavy it's ugly it's weak ( I personally can't stand a vert anything ) Fourth ahhh nevermind . You have a parts car now . Or a learner. Buy another fix it up you have spare parts and a teacher , buy teacher I mean if you have to replace a part you can first practice on your parts car . Also if you can read and understand what you read you can learn to build fix anything. And now days there's utube . Sale it for parts keep it for parts. My honest 33 year technician ase certified 47 year California resident. The cards are stacked against it.Get all you can from it. Parts and education is all it's worth .

• Sponsors (?)

Decision Decisions, If it were me I would seriously considering the 10K budget you plan for restoring and use that to get another newer Mustang. I understand the sentimental attachment, I still have the first new car I ever bought 1988 GT, but believe me when I say it is not reciprocated, the car has no feelings. I also bought a 2013 25 years later and hands down it is a much better car. If you want a convertible and are not all about the power I would look for a 2015 or newer eco boost, the 15 and up platforms are amazing. If you want the V8 power and don't need the drop top there are options in your price range too. If you want it all, start saving and get a newer one anyway. My Two Cents, Good Luck :)

10k budget for restoration negative
No technical knowledge. negative
No place to work in it? negative
Previously damaged several times. negative
I stopped here.

Long time owner (sentimental) positive
A girl needs a convertible. positive

See where this is going? Go shopping for a replacement. Be patient and you be glad you did.
Let us know what you find.

Keep looking for a replacement, patience always pays off. I looked for a few months for my '02 GT and $5340 with 81K.
aaaaaa reduced size.JPG
aaa.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
I would sell it. You will be surprised at what you can find. I was lucky to find a 99 Cobra with 03 bumpers and hood for a good price. It had some miles on it, but the interior was in good condition and the motor still pulls good at 4,000 RPM. My goal is to swap for a Coyote so the miles weren't an issue for me. Car.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I'd sell it.

I've seen some clean 99-04 GT convertibles in the $5-7K range. Don't soak $10K into a car that is worth less than that. Buy a clean accident free car to start with. I've been thinking of picking up a clean 01-04 GT vert simple because of how relatively cheap they are right now.

Here's my suggestion. Look for another to take it's place. I understand the sentimental attachment, but you can make a sentimental attachment to another car as well. Unfortunately yours sounds like it's more work than it's worth, especially given the facts that you're not equipped to deal with many repairs or upgrades yourself. But if you have your budget in reserves, you have some freedom in locating a suitable car from almost anywhere in the country. Take this car for example:

201910-4663d8f07dec446c9616fc63662cee0e.jpg

OR, from the same dealer here in Georgia, this one:

202002-539b5d37d9c940118f1409694f11832a.jpg

Now, imagine making a call and speaking with someone about one of these and deciding that you need to see it in person. You've then committed yourself to a trip cross country which is a memory in and of itself. Then, imagine actually BUYING one of these. Now the adventure steps up a notch or 3! You can choose to either have it shipped to you and fly back home OR choose to drive it back home. Imagine the memories of road tripping in your convertible Mustang GT cross country, (I highly discourage any Thelma and Louise ending with it). Now your sentimental attachment went from "I bought it and found out it was a POS, got into X amount of accidents, and it cost me X amount of money" to the new adventure that awaits with a new to you car that won't come with the attached problems that you already have. So, my suggestion is to let the one you have now go away in one way shape or form and find a new car to enjoy that will replace it.

I really wish I had the knowledge and tools to DIY this car. I've kept it parked on my street in front of my house since 2014 because I always thought I would be able to accomplish this but it's seeming a little bleek. Reading what everyone has to say about the frame damage too...I would love to get one that hasn't been wrecked up. We have like a 10 day lemon law here in California but I didn't find out until after that it was pretty much a lemon.

Now that you mention damaged floorboards, The rip is right over the driver's seat and that would have to be replaced. It has mold from all the rain over the years and the horn and airbags haven't worked since the day I bought it. I'm assuming all the gaskets need to be replaced like you said and its good to hear that parts are relatively cheap. I'm actively looking for a replacement.
Thank you so so much for your reply and advice!
In that case, definitely sell.

If I wanted a newer one I would get the 2008 GT . Best look, a little bigger and has those driving lights in the front A neighbor of mine has a 2008 Shelby nice car with great factory stuff all over it

Welcome. Get rid of it. First,you have no tools or mechanical knowledge. I don't know what shop rates are in Kommiefornia,but if it's anything like property values I'm sure it's outrageous. Secondly,those cars sell for next to nothing,especially the vert's. I see them on marketplace ALL the time. Thirdly,with as much damage as the car's had over the years,and especially it being a vert' chassis it's compromised IMO. I mean,how many times do you think you can bend something back. Wash your hands of it.

Haha, the prices are like you said, outrageous. I tried to take the best care of it but can't avoid all of the terrible drivers. Currently looking for a new ride! Thank you for the advice!

I like them all . I just like the 08 style. 01s have cool interiors the way they wrap around the driver is cool. I really dont know all that much about them mechanically. They seem to have a lot of plastic parts on the top of the engine that I would break if I was taking it apart. I am into the semi old fashioned foxbody. Easy to work on , and mine seems to be very reliable lately. Last night my wife and I went up I-75 about ten miles to get ice cream at DQ with the top down. PRICELESS

Attachments

• KIMG0230.JPG
    KIMG0230.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 90
  • KIMG0092.JPG
    KIMG0092.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 90
  • KIMG0078.JPG
    KIMG0078.JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 87
Mustang Alex let us know what you buy. I would use the advise of the people here to get the perfect white convertible. Like you said you cant beat original owner. Take the transmission fluid stick out and smell it for a burned smell. Should be red. Try for the old lady car you will be fine.

Mustang Alex let us know what you buy. I would use the advise of the people here to get the perfect white convertible. Like you said you cant beat original owner. Take the transmission fluid stick out and smell it for a burned smell. Should be red. Try for the old lady car you will be fine.

Thank you! I will definitely check the fluids before I purchase! And I will post and update you all on what I end up with! And yes haha, reliable is always good!!