Engine Higher idle then normal

Chris Stang

Aug 30, 2020
Kansas
Hello i have a 1995 mustang gt all stock except for a gt40 intake swap off of an explorer and cai. It runs smooth but it won't idle lower then 1000 rpms even though i have the idle set screw all the way backed off the throttle stop and even unhooking the iac. I read there are suppose to idle around 700 and it won't go that low any help is appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

That's what i was thinking it would be but i capped all ports that I'm not using and sprayed carb cleaner around on the intake and vacuum lines and it never changed idle like there was a leak. I also forgot to mention the egr is deleted, not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not.

I don't have a way to check codes i need to buy a reader for it. Just was seeing about ideas and if anyone else had this problem before so i know what it could be. The unhooking of the iac and it still running is what i thought was really odd.

I'm just trying to figure out what the problem is and not waste time and money replacing parts that are good. It runs smooth other then the idle being a little too high and when i rev it it doesn't go straight back to where it's idling it hangs about 1100 rpms for a second or two before going back down to the 900 rpms. I never had one of these cars before so i dont know what's normal.

Educate yourself, do this checklist step by step, read it through first to get familiar with it then start at the top.