• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Hooker headers and cable clutch?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rmoore45
  • Start date Start date Jun 14, 2011
R

Rmoore45

Member
Jun 5, 2011
142
0
17
Jun 14, 2011
#1
  • Jun 14, 2011
  • #1
Does anyone know if a mustang steve cable clutch setup will work with hooker longtube headers? I have the headers on my '67 coupe and before I buy the mustang steve system I would like to make sure.

The headers I have look like this



-Ranger
 

robbz28

10 Year Member
Sep 23, 2009
775
5
39
Epps, LA
Jun 14, 2011
#2
  • Jun 14, 2011
  • #2
I wrestled with this decision for a while before I finally just emailed the source, I asked both mustang steve and Bruce at Modern Driveline if their cable clutch would work with my headers and they couldnt give me a definate yes or no (the fact is you can make any of them work with some heat protection, but the question is for how long) after considering everything I finally decided to go with hydraulic...no melted cables to worry about, its more expensive, but in my experiences when I try to go a cheaper route, I always get burned....but im sure SOMEONE on here has those headers and a cable setup and hopefully can help you better than I did.
 
R

Rmoore45

Member
Jun 5, 2011
142
0
17
Jun 14, 2011
#3
  • Jun 14, 2011
  • #3
I posted this question on Mustang Steve's FYI FORD forum and got this reply

"I have long tube hookers on my 66 with Steve's cable set up. There are 2 cables you can use. I Have the short one which I had to make 2 brackets for so It wouldn't hit the header, But I think Steve has the long cables now that allow the cable to go out and back around under the header tubes..Either will work well I just liked the look of the smaller cable (Less noticeable) IMHO...."


So the answer is yes. So it looks like I don't have to buy new headers (even though I need to)
 

calpolymustang

Member
Feb 1, 2004
217
0
16
Santa Rosa, CA
Jun 16, 2011
#4
  • Jun 16, 2011
  • #4
i have hedman hedders and will be adding mustang steves kit in a few days. im going to fit the headers and bell housing off the car first and can take some pics

worst come to worst, ill reweld one of the tubes. -cheaper than buying the FPA headers steves friend sells (see link for FPA)
 

calpolymustang

Member
Feb 1, 2004
217
0
16
Santa Rosa, CA
Aug 29, 2011
#5
  • Aug 29, 2011
  • #5
went with H-8433 ceramic coated mid-length headers from Patriot
 
R

Rmoore45

Member
Jun 5, 2011
142
0
17
Aug 29, 2011
#6
  • Aug 29, 2011
  • #6
Hooker headers DO NOT work without modification. I had to relocate 1 of the tubes, wasn't that big of a deal.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

New Exhaust for 408w stroker
  • SadbutTrue
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
84
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 10, 2026
nickyb
A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
14
Views
383
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Saturday at 7:48 PM
AlexM556
A
K
351w engine swap
  • Killer351w
  • Jan 21, 2026
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
248
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Jan 21, 2026
Killer351w
K
Drivetrain Broken clutch cable- what it looks like
  • JulianR
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
629
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 10, 2026
gkomo
N
Vibration after new clutch
  • nipple_looker
  • Sep 20, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
415
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Saturday at 12:05 PM
fasterthangas
F
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?