Progress Thread Hoopty v2.0 - Back in action!

Maybe the solenoid on the inner apron is not working? Pull the red with blue strip wire off the solenoid and use a jumper wire from the battery over to that post and see if it starts. If not bad solenoid.

• Sponsors (?)

Guys, today was one of those days at work - total terd sandwich. So, I was already in a bad mood.

Bought an ignition switch at lunch, went in put it in a few mins ago, still nothing. I got to thinking... What all controls the ability to start................................

Neutral safety switch.

I, being the brilliant person that I am was too lazy to order a plug for the trans where the NSS connects. I shoved a spade connector in there when I did the swap thinking "I'll order it later."

Of course, I forgot.

And so it fell out.

And I replaced every single other piece I could think of until that dim little bulb turned on. So, I wedged another spade connector in there and it roared to life.

I am my own worst enemy. Absolutely no help to my mood, either.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Ok, Ive been doing some checking. It's not the NSS, I dont think. Its the reverse light harness, based on the photo of this plug and whats on LMR's site.
But, why does that keep the car from starting?! This was the plug that had the connecter wedged in it. The NSS is on the tailshaft housing and I have that, and its plugged in.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:
The NsS is on the reverse light harness. It’s that red/blue jumper wire as the manual cars use a clutch safety and not an NSS.

So you do need that jumper intact.

Ar you confusing it with the NGS on top of the trans, because that does something different.

The NsS is on the reverse light harness. It’s that red/blue jumper wire as the manual cars use a clutch safety and not an NSS.

So you do need that jumper intact.

Ar you confusing it with the NGS on top of the trans, because that does something different.
Ah, ok. I ordered the harness for the reverse lights, pictured above. I should have it in a couple of days.

Guys, today was one of those days at work - total terd sandwich. So, I was already in a bad mood.

Bought an ignition switch at lunch, went in put it in a few mins ago, still nothing. I got to thinking... What all controls the ability to start................................

Neutral safety switch.

I, being the brilliant person that I am was too lazy to order a plug for the trans where the NSS connects. I shoved a spade connector in there when I did the swap thinking "I'll order it later."

Of course, I forgot.

And so it fell out.

And I replaced every single other piece I could think of until that dim little bulb turned on. So, I wedged another spade connector in there and it roared to life.

I am my own worst enemy. Absolutely no help to my mood, either.
You old fart. A week ago, I locked my keys in the Suburban. Great! Grabbed some coat hangers, looking around for a wedge when it hit me that I'd hidden a key on the body for [just] such an occasion. :O_o: Forgot all about the damned thing... almost.

Dead brain cells are real :hide:

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
I didn’t think the NHS had anything to do with the start circuit? Thought it had to do with some idle strategy.
manual cars had the jumper as pictured . Harness in the car plugs into pedals . There’s 4 wires . That’s where you’re thinking about idle . It gets the signal from it

The auto cars have a full harness at the trans and the jumper is at the pedal plug in the car

Once I get this in, Ill let the car warm up and re-set the valve lash.

Starting to warm up again. Can't wait to battle overheating again this summer! :O_o:

I have a big iron in the fire right now with my wood side hustle. over the last year, I milled about 2,000 board feet of lumber and currently have about 1300 bf at the kiln being dried. The last weekend in March, I plan on having a big garage sale and selling basically anything I have that is dry and some that's not. The proceeds will hopefully pay off a big tool I just bought and then have enough left over to be seed money for a new motor. I have a couple projects lined up behind that and my hope is at the end of the summer, list the 302/turbo system as a pull out and sell that to have ~$10k set aside for a 351 based motor.

It's a big nut to crack and it's gonna need a lot of things to go right, but we'll push as hard as we can!

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
I wanted to update on the wheel situation - Once BC Forged got the whole story on my wheel fitment issue, they IMMEDIATELY jumped in and pledged to make it right through whatever means necessary, even if it mean making new wheels. The situation was resolved yesterday and as a customer, I'm happy with the outcome.

So, absolutely a stand up company that truly stands behind their products. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. That said, I would probably opt to spend a little more and order directly from them instead of an outside vendor to save a few bucks.

Reactions: 2 users
And as soon as it ran again, it died.

I adjusted the noisy rocker, same one was loose. Started it and ran in the garage for 10-ish mins and all was good. Went for a ride and it died outside my neighborhood. Spent some time yesterday troubleshooting only to find that the Megasquirt seems to have been fried.

What I think happened is I forgot to tighten the + battery cable. It arced and fried the MS somehow. I can't prove it but that's what I think happened. When the car died, all power shut off. Wiggled the cable and everything came back on.

Unsure what my next move is now. Need to get to the end of the month and get a few things behind me and see what funding looks like.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users