Progress Thread Hoopty v2.0 - Back in action!

My wifes explorer has mysteriously stopped leaking. I check it daily and also check the dipstick and so far, it's been holding steady for a week or so. I'm going to let it go until it starts leaking again as I definitely dont want to do the work nor am I willing to pay for it at the moment.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

My wifes explorer has mysteriously stopped leaking. I check it daily and also check the dipstick and so far, it's been holding steady for a week or so. I'm going to let it go until it starts leaking again as I definitely dont want to do the work nor am I willing to pay for it at the moment.
Dude, trade it in ASAP.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Well, the explorer is getting sent off to a mechanic today. $2,750.00 BUT it comes with a 3 year warranty on parts and labor.
Custom wheels are going to have to wait til the end of the year it looks like!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm almost tempted to pre-emptively change out the pump and chains on my Taurus. I was going to buy a new car, but decided to wait now. I just don't know if i should roll the dice, or just spend the money now when i can control the timing of having the car down

I did the water pump on our Taurus about 6 years and 75k miles ago. Bought the special tools to lock the cams ( very cheap on amazon ) and did it in the car. Just took all the mounts loose and slid the motor and trans over to the drivers side. I used an engine support bar and lowered the passenger side of the k member. Wasn't too bad in the driveway. Heather refused to get rid of it. Dumped all the coolant in the oil and drove it atleast 5 miles like that. The 3.5 is no joke...just that dang WP. If you keep good chains and WP in them they last over 300k. Oh...don't forgetvthe transmission speed sensors. That's a whole nother engineering cluster fuc. Been there and done that too on her Taurus.

Almost forgot...I did have to use a puller / installer for the crank pulley and used zip ties for the stupid power steering stretch belt.

Screenshot_20220622-232038_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
So in a week or two, I'm planning to drive the car to Huntsville, AL. Looks like a touch over 800 miles. My one job this week is to find a spare tire. I'm going to see if the one off my wifes explorer will work. Its a 5x114.3 pattern, and I hope that I can make it work with the Brembos in the front. They stick outboard a lot.

I've been driving the car around a lot and havent had a single issue, so I guess its as ready to go as itll ever be otherwise. Probably put it on the lift and do a nut/bolt check and start putting the tool bag together. Outside of a spare TFI module... any other oddball parts you can think of?

So in a week or two, I'm planning to drive the car to Huntsville, AL. Looks like a touch over 800 miles. My one job this week is to find a spare tire. I'm going to see if the one off my wifes explorer will work. Its a 5x114.3 pattern, and I hope that I can make it work with the Brembos in the front. They stick outboard a lot.

I've been driving the car around a lot and havent had a single issue, so I guess its as ready to go as itll ever be otherwise. Probably put it on the lift and do a nut/bolt check and start putting the tool bag together. Outside of a spare TFI module... any other oddball parts you can think of?
Maybe grab a spare belt as well as a small tool kit.

Reactions: 1 user