Progress Thread Hoopty v2.0 - Back in action!

So in a week or two, I'm planning to drive the car to Huntsville, AL. Looks like a touch over 800 miles. My one job this week is to find a spare tire. I'm going to see if the one off my wifes explorer will work. Its a 5x114.3 pattern, and I hope that I can make it work with the Brembos in the front. They stick outboard a lot.

I've been driving the car around a lot and havent had a single issue, so I guess its as ready to go as itll ever be otherwise. Probably put it on the lift and do a nut/bolt check and start putting the tool bag together. Outside of a spare TFI module... any other oddball parts you can think of?
Anytime I’ve ever replaced a serpentine belt, I’ve always kept the old one in the car….. just in case.
And of course…… zip ties and duct tape! Lol

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Well, the explorer is getting sent off to a mechanic today. $2,750.00 BUT it comes with a 3 year warranty on parts and labor.
Custom wheels are going to have to wait til the end of the year it looks like!
Dang, I'm back on my car converting the front end back to stock, and was thinking I'd like those anniversary wheels of yours! Randomly got the Fox itch again, even after buy a Scat Pack Challenger. There's just something about those old technology less hot rods.

There's just something about those old technology less hot rods.
I'm with ya on the non-tech, worked on brand x friday and part of Saturday, then drove it over to the car show, I hate that truck but it is 1953, I'll post the escapades in the Junk Pyle thread.
Again, sorry about that missing bolt :jester:

Y'know, I kind of miss coming in here and not seeing a post by now about how AAA is all you need and how you should upgrade your antiquated system that requires you to carry spare parts and tools. TFI modules are for peasants and wannabes.

Y'know, I kind of miss coming in here and not seeing a post by now about how AAA is all you need and how you should upgrade your antiquated system that requires you to carry spare parts and tools. TFI modules are for peasants and wannabes.
I drove through Birmingham yesterday in my fox. Made me sort of nostalgic of the old days and ALMOST missed our boy Mikey a little.

Almost.

Reactions: 1 user
On my last trip through Mississippi: This was at a KOA :nice:

1657642806673.png

• Hell Yeah!
I drove through Birmingham yesterday in my fox. Made me sort of nostalgic of the old days and ALMOST missed our boy Mikey a little.

Almost.
You know, I always liked Mike. He was much easier going and funny toward the first couple years, but even up to the end I never had an issue with him. Could be because I give no time to political opinions, so his rants went right past me. Did you guys ever figure out if he really sold the Gila to a new member, or if that was him playing around? I disappeared for a while before it came to light.

You know, I always liked Mike. He was much easier going and funny toward the first couple years, but even up to the end I never had an issue with him. Could be because I give no time to political opinions, so his rants went right past me. Did you guys ever figure out if he really sold the Gila to a new member, or if that was him playing around? I disappeared for a while before it came to light.
It was him playing. The political rantings didnt bother me either. It was his smugness and general cockiness and condescension to other members that bothered me. He didnt used to be that way, either.

• Agree
It was him playing. The political rantings didnt bother me either. It was his smugness and general cockiness and condescension to other members that bothered me. He didnt used to be that way, either.
Ah, and yes I know what you are referring to. I got attached to him from our interactions in his early days, along with Dave as well. Chose to overlook him being a prick to some due to that. But anyhow, what's the latest on that bumpsteer breakage?

Ah, and yes I know what you are referring to. I got attached to him from our interactions in his early days, along with Dave as well. Chose to overlook him being a prick to some due to that. But anyhow, what's the latest on that bumpsteer breakage?
Havent touched the car this week. I've been working full time and visiting with the wifes family. We will get it on a lift in a couple days. Probably going to try and drill out the taper in the spindles and put in a grade 8 bolt

Havent touched the car this week. I've been working full time and visiting with the wifes family. We will get it on a lift in a couple days. Probably going to try and drill out the taper in the spindles and put in a grade 8 bolt
If you're going to do that, just get the MM units as you know they will hold up to any torture you can put them through.

Now that I've made it home and lived to tell about it, here's the road epic road trip story. Last Monday, I left NW Houston at about 5:30AM to head for Huntsville, AL area - roughly 800 miles. The trip was going great. Made it to Lafayette, LA on 1 tank of fuel which was pretty cool. Got food and gas and continued on. Made it through LA without issue and was making outstanding time cruising at about 85 mph. I crossed into MS near Picayune at about 11:30 and made it about 10 miles in and hit a massive pot hole. Immediately after, the steering felt weird but there is hardly a shoulder. I eventually pull over expecting a flat tire, but nope. I crawl under the car and see the tie rod laying down and man, that was the worst feeling knowing how hosed I was.

1.jpg

Being on the side of the freeway with trucks going by a couple feet away was enough to fray the nerves pretty quickly so I was able to limp it a mile to an exit and off into the woods to find "civilization". I drive along (I still have no idea how this was possible.) for a mile or so and come to a crossroads with an old general store. They had a bucket of bolts in the corner, so I was able to put a bolt through the tie rod and knuckle and electrical tape it in place since thats all I had.

From there, it was another 10 miles back south to Picayune, which the pickens were slim there too - just a hardware store. So, I got a nut for my bolt and continued on with the trip.

2.jpg
3.jpg

The remaining 330 miles were wobbly but uneventful. Eventually I got off the highway and drove through some really pretty and hilly countryside.

4.jpg

Later in the week, I went to my wife's cousins shop and we welded a bolt to the bottom half of the broken tie rod. In hindsight, I probably should have gone to the parts store and bought 2 tie rod ends and been done with it, but I didnt want to have to jack with an alignment. We put it back together and it drove perfect - How was I to know what the future holds?

We spent the rest of the week visiting family every day. Got to drive around Lake Guntersville. It's so pretty there.
5.jpg

Saturday, I woke up early and headed back to Houston. All was going fine until Lake Charles. I hit a drop off and the familiar feeling of 1 wheel steering came back. I pulled over and sure enough, the other side let loose.

6.jpg

Fortunately, there was a tractor supply a half mile away and I was able to bolt it and get back on the road relatively quickly.

I dont know for sure what brand these parts are, although we have a pretty good guess at this point. But, I feel very strongly that the metal in these pieces is inferior. It looks like pot metal at the breaks. I get that there's a lot of leverage on these, but I dont get why I had a double failure that the exact same point.
7.jpg
8.jpg

I havent decided if I want to reach out to anyone yet and just say, "Hey, I dont want anything from you, but this sht is wack." As mentioned, I have no concrete evidence its a certain brand, nor did I buy them. I can say that I wont be buying any suspension pieces from a place that doesnt specialize in it.

What would y'all do as far as addressing the broken pieces?