Progress Thread Hoopty v2.0 - Back in action!

• Sponsors (?)

It's happening again.

A moment of weakness and I broke my self imposed rule of "one project at a time".

The car has been collecting dust waiting on a clutch. As such, I've been getting the classic car itch and have been in FO mode at work cruising classifieds for 6-7 hours. In the midst of all that, I still desire to upgrade the fox's rolling gear, and I finally found a set of wheels that fit several criteria:
- Cheap
- 5 lug
- quasi-uncommon on a fox
- free of rash

So, I listed the wheels/tires off the fox for $300 expecting to give them away for $150. Within 5 minutes, I had 3 cash offers for full price and they were gone. Whoops.

So anyway, I make an offer at $180 for these ultra-clean 35th anniversary wheels and the dude accepted:
IMG_5903.PNG

So now, I've got to convert to 5 lug. I think I'm going to initially poor boy it and buy the 5 lug kit with drums from LMR for $260 and some Mark VII discs for the front - just to keep it off the jacks and driving. The woodwork side hustle is getting busy and that means $$$ coming in.
sometimes you gotta go cheap,if it gets you going.I needed 17 inch rims to get mine rolling after cobra brake upgrade,I found rims/tires for 350 and offered $200 he accepted and...
IMG_20200417_165439_hdr.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I t

i thought you checked into it, and determined that the Cadillac caliper wouldn’t work with the Cobra rotor?...

No, the ATS caliper works great with the cobra rotor (assuming you buy the kit to mount it downward), it's the XTS caliper that needs the 14" rotor from the GT500. None are straight up plug and play, but they can be made to work. Kinda like a 2JZ.

Reactions: 1 users
I t

i thought you checked into it, and determined that the Cadillac caliper wouldn’t work with the Cobra rotor?...

Then I machined up some offset mounting bushings and it actually does fit now.

Inventory found that a 93 Ford Taurus rear Caliper direct swaps for the sn95 rear Caliper to help even out brake bias

Then I machined up some offset mounting bushings and it actually does fit now.

Inventory found that a 93 Ford Taurus rear Caliper direct swaps for the sn95 rear Caliper to help even out brake bias
They look huge,...is there a volume difference that you have to take into consideration when choosing a MC over the Cobra caliper?

* And I’d leave the Cadillac script if it were me...I think it looks great.

They look huge,...is there a volume difference that you have to take into consideration when choosing a MC over the Cobra caliper?

* And I’d leave the Cadillac script if it were me...I think it looks great.

Yes, but I think the 94-95 GT MC will do it. My calipers are slightly used so they need a refinish. As you know, I’ve got a few things to take care of first on the car before I can get to brakes again.

Sorry for hijack

No worries, all great info.

Several people have said to keep the Cadillac logo on there but I just can’t do that.

I’m going to disassemble the front and rear brakes today and take them to the powder coater Monday.

keeping them black, but will most likely just keep a white brembo logo where the caddy logo is.

Reactions: 1 users
@Mustang5L5 _ I have a quest for you, should you choose to accept it. Figure out how to get the fkn dust seals out of the caliper. I can't find anyone online taking these particular calipers apart. I'm on the verge of damaging one of them so I left it alone.

Reactions: 1 user