Progress Thread Hoopty v2.0 - Back in action!

Weird. I don’t know if they are seat belt mounts or what, but why does my car have the two round plates underneath toward the middle, and yours doesn’t?

C46986A3-9D2A-401A-9622-74F80A5A2094.jpeg
You got me there. This one is a 93. What is yours?

• Sponsors (?)

Weird. I don’t know if they are seat belt mounts or what, but why does my car have the two round plates underneath toward the middle, and yours doesn’t?

C46986A3-9D2A-401A-9622-74F80A5A2094.jpeg
You got me there. This one is a 93. What is yours?
The round brackets are seat belt mounts. It’s difficult to see, but there is a pair of brackets near the bottom of the rear seat pan just forward of where the mufflers sit on the ‘93 that look like they are the seat belt mounts.

Reactions: 1 user
hey now! I said should
I'm worried (for you). 3 popped HG's with only 11psi (allegedly).
I run 24* total timing at 11psi on 30 year old stock HG's and head bolts with zero issues (credit to Steve).
Hopefully there's no damage to the heads (assuming E7).
I'm curious if the engine has been rebuilt with different pistons that may give a higher CR?
Maybe he's overboosting somehow (datalog would verify)?
or tune is junk?

Just thinking (typing) out loud. I hope for your sake it's simple and your friend just couldn't see the forest through the trees.

Reactions: 1 users
I run 24* total timing at 11psi on 30 year old stock HG's and head bolts with zero issues (credit to Steve).
I'm curious if the engine has been rebuilt with different pistons that may give a higher CR?
or tune is junk?

Just thinking (typing) out loud. I hope for your sake it's simple and your friend just couldn't see the forest through the trees.
I'm definitely curious as well. I still haven't ruled out removing the turbo either. I've got no problem getting it running reliably NA for a while then trying the forced induction again later.

I'm definitely curious as well. I still haven't ruled out removing the turbo either. I've got no problem getting it running reliably NA for a while then trying the forced induction again later.
What's the least amount of boost you can run on a turbo? Would an "open" waste gate simulate NA or would you still build some boost?

@FoxMustangLvr he thinks the timing is somewhere other than where MS thinks it is, and by the result, Id say its advanced. I'll check that, the heads, and have Steve look over the tune and I'm sure the issue will surface. I also have some P heads laying around I may swap on, if the headers will work with the plugs.

Reactions: 1 users
simple to find out if the timing is wandering around... lock it in the software and increase the RPM on the motor, if it does not read correctly then the latency or pickup input could be wrong. Then there is the thought that the rotor timing could be wrong.. simple way to verify is to set the balancer at 25* BTDC and the rotor should be positioned about center on the post, if it is not adjust the distributor until it is then set the timing using the trigger wizard and adjust the offset value. This can be caused by a bad or poorly machined shutter wheel in the distributor MSD comes to mind.....

these are things I would verify after you have it running again.

or tune is junk?

Dont rule out a aged seasoned head gasket can actually hold better then one than one that is fresh.

I went and got the coupe today. It’s cleaner than described. How often does that happen?!?

F7AF7E35-611D-4ED1-9E73-697D45FB2522.jpeg
56440A41-DB49-46D1-9216-6DA75A200FF3.jpeg

I’ve got a trunk load of trim, pieces, and parts to go on to complete the paint job. Hands down the nicest car I’ve ever owned. I’ll take more pics when I can.

Also, the tune is FUBAR. It’ll hardly idle but it’s an easy fix

Reactions: 9 users