Progress Thread Hoopty v2.0 - Back in action!

• Sponsors (?)

While I was underneath the car a few days ago, I noticed there was a nice coating of oil all over everything underneath the car. I surmise its coming from where the dipstick tube meets the block. What's the best way to seal that? RTV?

Woo!

0EBF518E-3E47-427C-A974-19E5DD99368F.jpeg
92C0468D-53DE-4F51-8703-660C902F12D6.jpeg

We’re mobile again.

I also got my air compressor hooked up and running again.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
I figured I'd stop in, although nothing to update - Which I'll call a good thing. The car still runs and drives like it should. I've had it garaged mainly because it's been insanely hot and I just don't wanna risk messing around in the heat with that car and cause issues.

I planned on buying big brakes and such, but instead doubled down on a side venture to build my own sawmill to make my own lumber. The idea is that I'll be able to generate more side income to buy more car parts. We'll see.

I also had sinus surgery last week and was in Canada fishing the week before that, so nothing much has been happening around my neck of the woods.

Reactions: 2 users
They're coming tomorrow to start the foundation on my shop that I've been dreaming of having for the last 10 years. Needless to say I'm pretty excited. I haven't touched the fox much, trying to get ready for this massive undertaking.

That said, the gears are already turning for another project. I was debating big wheels/brakes on my current fox, but the more I drive it, the less I want to mess with it. It's so nice to just turn the key and go wherever. It's going to stay covered in the garage and enjoyed on the weekends indefinitely.

So here are the two options I'm considering, based on buying another car:
- Standing mile car
- Road race car

The common denominator:
They would both be built from a gutted POS new edge body, as ugly and cheap as I can find it. Both would be 9.5" deck SBE, carburetor, manual cars built on the cheap. The reason for the new edge is they're already 5 lug/decent brakes and can take a decent size tire with little modification. And they're cheap. Did I mention they're cheap?

Where they diverge:
The mile car would be turbocharged, air to water intercooled, with a ridiculous roll cage. That sht scares me and I have kid(s) so, yeah.

The road race car would be a test project. MM front suspension. But I'd build and tweak everything from the firewall back. I had been conspiring for a while with an engineer buddy to build a torque arm/PHB system and I never got around to it. So it would be a rolling science experiment.

I'm about to have 1500sf all to myself and the beauty here is that I still have a fox that runs/drives so it (hopefully) eliminates my restlessness to change directions when I get 85% complete and it still doesn't run. You can get a plasma cutter for under $200 now, I still have my TIG, and tubing benders are cheap as well.

Lots of words, no pictures. Hopefully I can change that soon.

• Happy
Reactions: 4 users