Progress Thread Hoopty v2.0 - Back in action!

• Sponsors (?)

It's close! The trans is bolted back in the car but it got late on me last night so I stopped.

But get this - the clutch disc was PHYSICALLY STUCK - aka glued - to the flywheel. I don't have a good explanation other than I put way too much thread sealer on the FW bolts and they leaked, but even that doesn't make sense. At any rate, I pulled it off, cleaned it, and got it mostly back together again.

Past that, I have 3 questions that I need to solve before I drive again -

1) do I need to change the inner and/or outer tie rod ends since going to SN spindles? The front wheels are both toe in by an inch or more.
2) The brake lights stay on - the switch at the pedals is the issue. Is there a trick to making it work correctly?
3) Not so much a question, but I need the neutral safety switch for a tremec. I have it jumpered under the car.

Those 3, coupled with re-wiring the +12v for the wideband will get me back on the road again.

I do not recall needing to swap tie rods when I went from the Fox spindles to SN spindles... I used 94/95, what year did you use? When I later went to the Cobra rack I used 93 Taurus outer tie rods but that's it so far until I eventually get a bump steer kit and install it.

I do not recall needing to swap tie rods when I went from the Fox spindles to SN spindles... I used 94/95, what year did you use? When I later went to the Cobra rack I used 93 Taurus outer tie rods but that's it so far until I eventually get a bump steer kit and install it.
Ok good. I'll see about adjusting everything. Going to pull the front wheels and make some alignment boards.

No, you do not need to change the tie rod ends. Yes, toeing out (or was it in) is normal when swapping to SN95 spindles. You need to center your steering rack, manually adjust the tie rod ends to point the wheels straight ahead, and then go get an alignment.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, it's fixed. It shifts, the wheels turn when they should and don't when they shouldn't.
Few more items on the list to correct and reassemble and we'll be back on the road.

...9 fkn months later.

Reactions: 4 users
Meh, I wouldn't worry too much about that... I've only put like 4 miles on my car since I completed the brake swap so it really wouldn't matter if it was still on jack stands.

Reactions: 1 user
376F9A69-B2EC-4471-BF3F-A18A80A41882.jpeg
314BBA2D-E9D3-4AF6-A34A-E9528085D514.jpeg
4051CE0F-28D2-47AE-8010-7262292E314B.jpeg
B4E1990C-A9E9-4F21-925F-68CD3747265F.jpeg
A48FDED8-FC66-4DCE-A76E-0F20D3A1B7D2.jpeg

It’s still too low despite raising the coil overs 1.5”. The clutch needs adjusting. The brakes are making noises. There’s an exhaust leak. The interior is still in pieces. But, I drove it.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 7 users
1619FE10-DAE7-4A79-810D-7084CBCB2EB3.jpeg

It’s clean. I raised the front end, adjusted the clutch cable, and got the alignment better. Has an exhaust leak still and it runs like ass for some reason. Need to figure out what’s up there, almost like a misfire

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 6 users
Now that my car is (mostly) done, I need to get my shop in order. Since I've moved in, it's just been kinda haphazard. Also, when I came home from the office in March, we were working from home for 2 weeks. It's now been 6 months so it was time to figure out a more permanent solution as my work station was sitting in the middle of my garage floor. So, having a sawmill and a few pine logs, I got to work:

1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

2.jpg

I forgot to take more pics as I built, but here's the idea - true 2x8 joists with hangers and a 5x6 post. The stair stringers are 1.5" x 10" with 24" wide treads.

4.5.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

So where does that leave me?

- I ran out of screws on the stairs, need to add hand rails and more screws into the treads.
- add more insulation
- move the window unit up to the office somehow

My next major financial goal is to buy a 2 post lift. It will go in front of my toolbox, next to where the car is currently parked.
Minor goals are to start the bathroom and get it operational - not expensive, but time consuming. Plumbing, walls, light, flooring, etc.

Under my 'office' is currently crammed with stuff that I intend to find a better home for and that will have a table and chairs as a hangout area.

My distant goal is to have a '67 coupe to turn into an auto X project. I have a 351 short block already, but it's on the back burner until I get the shop closer to finished.

I know it's not really fox related, but that's what I'm going to be up to for a bit.

The fox had a misfire which ended up being burnt plug wires, so I ordered some more. the radiator has a pin hole that I need to find and get fixed. I also have an electric fan to install. Maybe soon!

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 6 users