Progress Thread Hoopty v2.0 - Back in action!

• Sponsors (?)

Car still runs ok, put a new radiator in and put on the electric fan I’ve had. Still planning on doing heads/cam soon.
For the last 3 months, I’ve done nothing but work on the house. It has literally consumed my life. It’s getting close to done, so I’m hoping in a few more weeks I’ll be able to tear the car down.
seriously considering switching to Holley as well. The MS has been fun, but I use it so infrequently that i have to re-learn it every time. Plus, it’s an ancient MS and doesn’t have all the functionality of the newer ones. We shall see how the funds are this summer.
9CAEBBE4-0122-4962-BB49-96A5DD5B16C5.jpeg
AC50F0FD-DDF3-483B-8977-A26F5D319493.jpeg

• Hell Yeah!
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Well, part of the reason for the e-fan install was because the car would get hot with the A/C on. After the new radiator and e-fan, it was still acting up, but instead of low speed, it was getting hot on the highway. Yesterday, I took my daughter to swim lessons and it got hot again, but wouldn't cool off at any speed.

My concern is that the intercooler is blocking a lot of air. Then, the condenser is only allowing hot air across the radiator so there seems to be a no-win situation here.

My question is, with my new 80# injectors, can I remove the I/C and switch to e85, or would that not really cure the issue of the radiator sucking hot air off the condenser? I was hoping by removing the I/C I could shift the condeser forward and put a pusher fan on it. The air gap would help.

Apologies for the ramble, but I'm stumped here. I have to have AC though. It was 91 yesterday and is only going to get warmer!

Do you still have the chin flap under the bumper and the correct air dams under the frame rails? These cars are bottom breathers. Also, maybe a cowl hood or heat extractors in your hood will help? Just like the engine breathing in, it's gotta breathe out too.

How hot did it get?
220-230 is my guess but unverified. I need to get a real gauge and replace my digi-thermometer
Do you still have the chin flap under the bumper and the correct air dams under the frame rails? These cars are bottom breathers. Also, maybe a cowl hood or heat extractors in your hood will help? Just like the engine breathing in, it's gotta breathe out too.
Yep. I'd rather not go cowl, but vents may not be a bad idea.
How far away from the core is your fan shroud down both sides?
4CE10A11-6BA3-40A5-882F-EBA3B2336108.jpeg
It's flush on the other side. The gap that you see is finger width
Also are you absolutely certain there isn't air in the system?
Yessir.

How far away from the core is your fan shroud down both sides?
4CE10A11-6BA3-40A5-882F-EBA3B2336108.jpeg
According to that picture there is room for improvement with the e-fan shroud. Shroud appears to cover 75% of the radiator at best and it has 1/2" gap on the end that suck hot engine air instead of sucking air through the radiator.

My Contour fans covered nearly 100% of my SVE radiator like they were meant for each other.

It may not cure your problem but I bet it'll help.

Reactions: 1 user
According to that picture there is room for improvement with the e-fan shroud. Shroud appears to cover 75% of the radiator at best and it has 1/2" gap on the end that suck hot engine air instead of sucking air through the radiator.

My Contour fans covered nearly 100% of my SVE radiator like they were meant for each other.

It may not cure your problem but I bet it'll help.
I’ve considered ordering some contour fans. Maybe making a sheet metal shroud too.

If it's an issue at speed I would suspect the air dam of folding over if it's old. I used an air dam off of a ranger and have never had cooling issues at speed since
LOL. I didnt post pics due to crudeness, but I made a scoop from an old stop sign I had laying around. purely for testing purposes, of course.

Reactions: 1 user