How many here belong to a Mustang or other car club?

Ateup

Sep 21, 2009
I've never belonged to a car club but am thinking about joining. I've never been on an organized ride or to any kind of car show. I think it would be a lot of fun.

• Sponsors (?)

We thought about starting our own in Houston, a non specific group of guys and slowly grow it. Most the ls1/ newer mustang car clubs are big street racers, and "I'll drag your azz.....etc" in Houston .The older mustang crowd, I really don't have anything in commen with. The vette crowd in Texas, unlike the east coast, is mostly waxers.

I've been to a couple meets. I like the guys that like to meet up at the track and encourage others to run a personal best, whether it's a 9 second or 14 second car. From my experience, those guys are the best to hang out with as a group.

Maybe I am over exagerrating it, but I really have not had any fun at car clubs in my area. I have a small group of guys that I like to hang out with that I have met on the net over the years. 4-5 of them are on this site.

Thanks, that's good info. Never really thought about the different types of owners but your right. I'm kind of in the middle I guess, not a gear head speed freak but not an old fogey yet either.

Yes, two of them. One is Mustang specific and the other is all vehicles.

It's a great thing to do with the right group of people. Neither club collects fees or anything, which is great, but one accepts donations and the other has a select members sub-forum for a one time $20 payment.

I've met some very close friends from both groups.

We've had everything from simple 3-4 car meets, to a joint meet of 50 people, to a 6 hour weekend road trip to Tail of the Dragon, and big turnouts for Local F-body and Mustang Weeks.

It's a great thing to do with the right group of people.

This is what it came down to for me, and I did'nt meet the right group of people. The club meeting place was 30-45 minutes away depending on traffic, and the one and only meeting I went to my Mach got scratched (BY ANOTHER MEMBER!!). The car show stuff is a joke. It comes down to how many people you personally know at the show or how many people's butt you kiss to get that 1st place trophy. My club were the car judges at one show and everyone in my club got 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place in their class. All other cars got ignored. That was when I quit it all.

Do some research first - check out a few local/regional car shows in your area and get to know how they are organized/run/judged/etc. You'll probably be able to see some of the more "visible" or larger car clubs at these shows as well - from there you can meet with the members and get a feel for who they are (ie - do they only care about winning trophies?).

Car clubs can certainly be "hit-or-miss" - certain members of a specific club may rub you (or other members) the wrong way...have fun with it but beware of the drama that might be involved.

:cheers:

I've never belonged to a car club but am thinking about joining. I've never been on an organized ride or to any kind of car show. I think it would be a lot of fun.

a few months ago, my girlfriend and i went to a park near the Lyndon B Johnson space center to try out a new fishing spot, and really just go hang out... anyway, when we got there, i noticed to vettes parked next to eachother, but didnt think much of it and went on having a nice time at the park, but as we were getting ready to leave, the group of vettes had grown to probably 20 or so... and then they all got in a line and just drove as a group somewhere...

ever since then, i;ve been wanting to do that with a whole bunch of mustangs but i highly doubt that it's gonna happen any time soon :(

This is what it came down to for me, and I did'nt meet the right group of people. The club meeting place was 30-45 minutes away depending on traffic, and the one and only meeting I went to my Mach got scratched (BY ANOTHER MEMBER!!). The car show stuff is a joke. It comes down to how many people you personally know at the show or how many people's butt you kiss to get that 1st place trophy. My club were the car judges at one show and everyone in my club got 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place in their class. All other cars got ignored. That was when I quit it all.

same here

a few months ago, my girlfriend and i went to a park near the Lyndon B Johnson space center to try out a new fishing spot, and really just go hang out... anyway, when we got there, i noticed to vettes parked next to eachother, but didnt think much of it and went on having a nice time at the park, but as we were getting ready to leave, the group of vettes had grown to probably 20 or so... and then they all got in a line and just drove as a group somewhere...

ever since then, i;ve been wanting to do that with a whole bunch of mustangs but i highly doubt that it's gonna happen any time soon :(

It's the Nasa event. It's a bunch of waxers in Houston, and a lot of the San Jacinto Club. :notnice:

I used to be in a regional Mustang club, all years. Good mix of people 20's up to 60/70 year olds. Great bunch of people. I was a member for about 10 years before I got burned out on cars shows. Mainly because I do not like standing in hot parking lots all day and not really visiting the places we went.

I've never been much for attending car meets and just standing around. The few that I have attended seemed to have their own little "groups" and the subjs didn't communicate too much with outsiders.

I'd rather stand around cars and talk racing in the staging lanes at a racetrack :nice:

clubs are fun but youve got to find the right one for you with people you get along with and the club has intrests that make you want to be thier ie. im part of a firebird club in mass and thiers alot of us who dont have birds .thier are alot of clubs that you have to have a certian car and withen a certian gen but some clubs just wat people who love cars in genral . what we have in common is running our show we host charrity rides have cookouts runs to the beach we went to world of wheels had a dyno day the list gos one , so you should try it if you dont like it you can always leav a club . and you can learn alot and make some good friends at shows

I have been in the late model mustang club of CT for 3 years now. Great bunch of people age from 20s-70s, mustangs from 1968-2010 GT-500s. We have lots of organized events like golf tournaments, spring, summer and fall cruise, club camping trips, club car shows and all kinds of other stuff. There is nothing like driving with 80 other mustangs in a line down the highway. We are the largest mustang club in the northeast. If it wasn't for the club my car would not have all the mods it does. One of the guys in the club builds mustangs on the side and he does most of the work and big mods with a lot of are cars.

I am apart of one here where I live. It's a mustang specific club. GREAT group of guys. Some of the people might not be the most car smart people, but they are always up for learning and more than willing to help anyone out if they need some help. The site does not support street race, nor do we allow it on the site. I have had really good experiences with this club for the past 2 years. We are actually getting ready to take a cruise from Little Rock, Ar to Memphis, TN (about 2.5 hours) for our clubs 2 year bday.

There's a few us Bullitt owners in Houston who get together around town once a month. Four of us are pretty consistent. A few others attend when not working and such. The four of us are in our 40-60's. The rest vary. We typically meet for lunch but it runs around three hours. Families come along and we shoot the breeze about anything and everything.

We're planning a weekend criuse for October down to Mustang Fest at Corpus Christi. Last year was a weekend cruise to the Hill Country.

We all belong to IMBOC and originaly met on the site.

We stage a Bullitt/Mach 1 Shootout in the spring each year in East Texas. We get members from all over the US and Canada.

I have also attended the Bullitt Nationals the last four years. They are usually held in conjunction with a larger car event. I have been to Tulsa (Shelby Mid-America), Myrtle Beach (Mustang Week), Indy (MCA National show), and Chino Hill, Ca (Friends of Steve McQueen Show). There are usually around 50 us.

Here are some of the activities of both:

I've been coast to coast and all the way to Indy in my 26k mile garage queen (2008). Next year is Tail of the Dragon. I've made some great friends over the years and look forward to seeing them each year, yet I still have the same core group here that I see each month. You guys will find a fit somewhere and it will make the cars secondary when you find that special group.

Clubs tend to look for a commitment (naturally), which by its own definition, is a contrast of why I have the car. My car=My fun. Period. If you're in a position where you meet a bunch of folks that interest you and are willing to commit to whatever they're looking for, time, events, etc. go for it. Like it or not, it's something you should definately experience and judge for yourself.

I've tried it a few times, but my experience closely resembles Crzyhrse & tag4car. There's a lot of cool people here, but it's just not for me.