How to convert a 94-98 Mustang radio bezel to the 01+ double din

amplifier28

Apr 16, 2005
aside from picking up the bezel. how much material needs to be chopped away from behind? Also, is there anything that needs to be added behind the dash to secure a double din radio in there?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm in the same situation currently. I have a double din radio out of an 04 mustang though not too sure what all is needed to get it to work.

I guess I need to find me a wrecked 03-04 mustang and pull the bezel out and get that into place. I guess I could pull mine apart and see what I am working with and what its going to take, though would love for you to do it first ;) haha

The newer radios bolt on. They use two bolts on the bottom and bolt onto a bracket that is in the dash.

So you'll need to perhaps find this bracketry and adapt it to your car.

Then if you really want a clean look, you can rewire the fog lights and defrost to the buttons under the radio. Then you can put another coin holder on the center console and then find a 01-04 gauge surroung trim peice to remove the defrost button from under the headlights

Who's bright idea was it to put the rear defrsot under the headlight switch anyway??? That makes no sense

The sad thing about this is that a local junkyard is likely going to charge a hefty amount for this bezel with the metal frame for the bolts :(

I'll pull the radio out tonight and take some pictures (will upload them in the morning most likely) just to show what the 96-98 guys are looking at.

SO i did some quick reseach.

DIN = 180mm x 50mm
Double Din = 180 x 100mm
1.5 din = 180 x 88mm (not exact...i had to measure a chrysler 1.5 din radio to get this)

100MM is 3.93". So i went out to my Mustang and measured my Mach 460 and low and behold...3.93"! SO it's a double din stereo

Now, the chrysler 1.5 din would fit but you'd need something to take up the extra gap. Since single din and 1.5 din radios look cheap in doubledin stereo spots, that leaves you spending $1000 on a DD setup.

For example. I don't care how nice this radio sounds...this looks like crap. The OEM Mach 460 looks way better than this setup.
viewsingle.php?id=4152&sku=24003