How to get 400+rwhp/400+ rwtq out of a n/a 306-347?

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
Lancaster, PA
I did a search and realy didnt find much of what I was looking for. I was reading a old 5.0 mag, and noticed that coast high had a sn95 mustang with thier 347e motor. Its the emissions legal one. Anyways, it made 430rwhp/450rwtq with I think is amazing. And this was all motor and didnt rev it past 6000 or 6500 I forget. And the thing that was wierd was the cam was about 490/510 lift or somthing, nothing crazy. So what im trying to find out is what would it take to make 400+rwhp/400+ rwtq on a STEEET motor. Nothing above 6500 rpms, oinly 93 octane, no race fuel, and something that has street mannors. Yes it might be sloggish down low thats ok, thats the price you pay, but what Im looking for is head/cam/intake suggestions people have to get this. Has it been done often? What about compression? Thinking about 10.5-1 or 11.0-1 in that range. Thanks alot. I have done alot of research on this and really didnt find alot so I fig I would ask.

Aslo, they were using edelbrock performer rpm heads, and a rpm intake, both being ported, 1 5/8" shorty headers, and 2.5" ehxuast.

• Sponsors (?)

Level 20 347 Shortblock from D.S.S.
AFR 205-225 heads
Super Junior Victor Intake
70mm-75mm Throttle Body
85mm Mass Air
36# injectors
Custom Chip
Full Exhaust
Custom Grind Cam
roller rockers
work the heads to get about 10-10.5 compression
and of course... some dale earnhart octane boost

damn N/A is hard, will this get 400 RWHP on the upper RPM band? Actually with a power band before 6300 rpms, you would probably want a smaller intake and a bit smaller heads.

See in my sig, 10.7:1 compression and about 390rwhp, need 42lb injectors and bigger TB and MAF, and a dynotune, then I'm hoping for around 420rwhp.

Car is daily driven, excellent street manners, can drive it anywhere like a stock 5.0! Nothing above 6500rpms, 91 octane

Another member of CA Fords has a 347 with the same cam, Victor Jr heads and Intake, and made 445rwhp!

N/A 347s are nice but eventually you will want more power so go with a power adder. Of course, a stock block will not suffice after that!

Next up is low compression pistons, better block and twin turbos hopefully!

BlownStangGT said:
thats the thing, I can not figure out how coast high made 430hp/450 tq on that motor to the wheels!!!!!!! And with the parts, I am amazed and I will find out how they did it.

Do you know the month/year of the article? I could believe the #s at the flywheel but not to the wheels.

willys1 said:
Is a 393 a dependable street motor? or is it more of a race motor?

The motor is anything you want it to be. You put a huge cam, 1150 dominator Holley and heads so ported you could run your fist through then it's a race motor.

If you use some restraint and use components that compliment either other and a good tune it should be a smooth as a factory car.

I don't see why you couldn't have a stroked 351 based motor pushing 500/500 to the wheels safely and feel comfortable driving it across country. Depending on how much money you want to spend on gas that is.

If I may play devil's advocate for a moment.....

Why are you looking for at least 400 hp and ft/lbs at the wheels? It seems like a lot of people get caught up in trying to achieve a certain "number" and end up sacrificing what the hobby is all about - powerful, realiable, fun to drive cars.

Are you looking to have enough power to run a certain number at the track?

As far as the power numbers, its just a goal maybe. But It was just thrown out because i like to do ALOT of research before I jump into things. I wanted to see what people were making. Track id like to go 11's on motor, but when I say who runs 11s onmotor, people do it with 300 rwhp. Im not that way, I would rather half the power and times. the car is not going to be a light weight, its not going to be a drag car, and all that stuff. Its going to be a daily driven realiable car that can run 11's at the track on motor. Guess thats why I put it like that haha.

EMW150 said:
Do you know the month/year of the article? I could believe the #s at the flywheel but not to the wheels.

Issue is June 2001 of 5.0 mustangs and super fords

Article is on page 28-32.

It says the car made 455.1 ftlbs of trq at 4500 rpms and 430 hp at 6000 rpms. There is an asteric (sp) that says Chasis dyno numbers provided by coast high performance. So unless I went brain dead, doesnt a chasis dyno refer to a dyno that the car is on with the motor in it, not a motor dyno. Not sure but I would really like to find out more about it cause the car made some impressive numbers.

BlownStangGT said:
Issue is June 2001 of 5.0 mustangs and super fords

Article is on page 28-32.

It says the car made 455.1 ftlbs of trq at 4500 rpms and 430 hp at 6000 rpms. There is an asteric (sp) that says Chasis dyno numbers provided by coast high performance. So unless I went brain dead, doesnt a chasis dyno refer to a dyno that the car is on with the motor in it, not a motor dyno. Not sure but I would really like to find out more about it cause the car made some impressive numbers.

I'll have to look, I'd say I probably have that issue at home. You're right, chassis dyno should mean rear wheel horsepower but it also could have and probably is an error. Reason being, the numbers don't add up if rear wheel hp/tq #s. Not on pump gas without revving higher than 6000 rpms. Then if you up the rpms - quess what happens to the torque numbers? Sorry don't believe it although I do not doubt that the magazine has it printed that way.