How to get rid of the Gas Smell

stussy2870

Apr 5, 2019
Butler
Hey Guys,

So in my previous long-winded whiny thread i complained about my car smelling like gas.. REALLY BAD. To put it in perspective - i took the car out for a 45 minute windows down "Cruise". The first thing my wife said to me was -- Eww You smell like gas..

I want to fix that. So i'm asking the pro's..

Currently the car is a 351w with Full Length to BBK Catless H and pypes mufflers. There is also ZERO smog equipment on the car which includes no Charcoal Canister.

Whats the best way to remedy the situation? I was thinking i'd do the Canister and then add a Highflow CATTED H .. Am i wasting time with any of this? Am i doing it out of order, Are there other things to fix/check first before i throw more $ at the thing?

Thanks for your help!
Paul

• Sponsors (?)

Certainly no pro but -

when i removed the stock catalytic converters on my car with an offroad H, it certainly put added some stank to the exhaust. So I think you're heading in the right direction with installing cats.

The charcoal cannister if i'm not mistaken is part of the EVAP system and should be recapturing unburnt fumes. If it's not present/hooked up, those fumes are getting pumped back into your engine bay, i'd check where

Add a Christmas tree air freshener and keep pluggin along!

Reactions: 1 user
The fuel system is a sealed system, you need to hook up the canister with the correct solenoid and vacuum lines, it helps with part throttle cruise too.
cats will help too, and I not talking about your neighbors ' pesky cat.

Reactions: 1 user
The fuel system is a sealed system, you need to hook up the canister with the correct solenoid and vacuum lines, it helps with part throttle cruise too.
cats will help too, and I not talking about your neighbors ' pesky cat.

The Canister is DEF not there.. so i'm just guessing that the vent valve is venting to the atmosphere or the vacuum line is tucked away out of sight. Ill do the canister first..that seems to make the most sense to me, especially based on what you're saying!

- Thanks General!

Cats do contribute a lot to the smell. I did run catless for a brief time and the stench is what drove me to ultimately put cats back on and remain that way since.

I think the charcoal canister is a small contributor, but the only gas fumes that would vent are those forced out by tank pressurization due to heat from the tailpipes and ambient temp climb. Shouldn't be that much.

Yeah running one of theses cars with/without cats is a night and day difference. One of the mechanics here at the dealership has a catless h-pipe on his LX. Freaking stinks, sounds cool though.

Let do a little clarification here.
if you are smelling a raw gas smell like you have a open can of gas in the cabin then that is different that the exhaust fume smell like what happens when you run rich and your eyes burn standing behind a carbed big block with a big overlapping cam at idle.
so is it raw or rich smelling?

i took the car out for a 45 minute windows down "Cruise". The first thing my wife said to me was -- Eww You smell like gas..

Jr dragsters have Fuel Scent Fragrance.

Supercharged Strawberry and Groovey Grape! This might be just what you need to get wifey to say 'Eww You smell like bubblegum!?!'

ATMOC-19769-2T.jpg
ATMOC-19769-3T.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
my memory says it smells Raw - more than it smells rich. I haven't had a carb'd car in over 20 years, most of my recent rides have been modern/newer DI/FI'd versions. Ill have to sit in my garage with it running for 15 minutes to get you a "correct" answer

Do you know what your AFR's are ?
Is it worse when you fill the tank ? Check the seal at the fill tube/tank junction.

No i dont know AFR and No, it seems pretty consistent regardless of level of fuel. I've looked for leaks - cant find any.

My car reeks of gas when its running, but it also puffs blue smoke... It has a lot of issues!

Be sure to open the garage door when you sit in there for 15 minutes!!

LOL..Will do

My car reeks of gas pretty bad. After driving it for an hour and then stepping out into fresh air, I start realizing how lightheaded I am lol. I dont have cats and I'm debating on replacing the charcoal canister but I'm not sure that the issue. Sometimes I get whiffs of gas from the engine bay too.

My car is a bit stinky. No charcoal , -6 fuel safe rollover vent in the tank now that just vents off the top. No line off the 90 fitting ( would get crushed anyway )

17/8 long tubes with full 3 inch and a decent size hyd roller cam will do that . I still don’t have the smell on my clothes unless I sit in it with the garage door open warming the car up .