I Don't Want To,..but Lets Talk About Fuel Pumps.

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
So,....I have a bad pump. It has 20-30 minutes run time on it.
Lets discuss my options:

This is the flaming piece of sht that I currently have:

msd-29258_sn_ml.jpg

-8 inlet, -6 outlet/ 85 GPH at 45 PSI ( that is equivalent to 321 LPH) Cost to buy= 222.00

Summit has this junker under two different SKU's. The branded SKU is AEM, and they have a version under their PN.
avm-50-1005_ml.jpg

-10 in, -6 out /This thing is rated at 97 GPH at 45 psi w/ discount this doo doo head should be 125.00.
If I bought the Summit branded version it should be about 15.00 less.

Pro to the above is price, and fitment. Con is IDK if I can trust it.

Next up is this dude:

Summits version of the Aeromotive piece they also sell:
sum-g3137_ml.jpg

Supposedly rated at 450 pounds per hour at 65 P.S.I. (That equals 75 Gallons per hour at that rated P.S.I)

With the discount, this piece would be be 170.00

Here's the real fcked up part.....this piece is current, Aeromotive sells Their branded piece for almost twice this, and only rates their product for 5 more gallons per hour.
Here's the double fcked up part. This piece is an exact replacement for the Mallory P.O.S that is currently sitting under the monster.

Coincidence? I think not. Matter of fact,...Summit's PN for the Aeromotive version...is 11106
Guess what the original PN was for the Mallory piece before MSD bought them?...Yep,...11106M

The Pros to this is that it is a direct replacement w/ a current PN. The cons are...Is it anybetter than the current junker that is one the car?

Ahem,......because they are charging twice as much for their name,....Aeromotive will not be invited to my comparison.

So,....these three pumps fit my "budget". (two summits and an AEM) From there it just gets stupid expensive. From what I understand there is a Holley version that will be comparable but costs as much as the Aeromotive piece. I am just not prepared to spend that much considering I'm already having to throw away the existing 200 dollars spent on the existing turd under the car.

The other alternative is that I attempt to take the existing part apart, and repair it myself...I'll check into that tomorrow .

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The Holley on my truck was external. Loud as :poo:, but worked fine.

No matter what you get, at least this time you will be using it within the warranty period to be sure nothing you have done is causing it to crap out prematurely (wiring short, MS...)

Not to make you any madder, or is that more mad, not sure, but have you had the pump sit'n around long enough, unused waiting for instalation, for mallory to give you the 'past the warranty time limit' excuse?
Just wunder'n, not that I got anything with balls enought to need anything like that.

No, no, no...the pump is on the outside. This is a crotchedy assed Faimont tank. It is not plumbed for a intank pump. It has to be one of the pumps I listed.

Yeah I get that. I was alluding to in tank setups being cheaper.. and maybe more reliable.

I had a well drilled for the house i built 7 or 8 years ago. I asked the company owner, which style is more reliable, the above ground jet pump style, or the below ground submersible. His reply? Submersible, hands down. The reason? The fluid it is submerged in cools it, so it lasts longer. I could be wrong, but I would think the same principle would apply to a fuel pump. Throw a mustang tank in there and go. My buddy with the carbed 4 eye put a spare efi tank I had in his car and is using the efi pump. Works great.

Well,.....here's my update w/regard to who's ripping who off.

Mallory marine.... 211.00 2.7 years ago.
msd-29258_sn_ml-jpg.569152.jpg

Summit racing....222.00 today
sum-g3137_ml-jpg.569154.jpg

Aeromotive....356.97 today.
AEI-11106.jpg

See any difference?...There isn't any. The one end of the pump screws off to allow the aluminum sleeve to come off. The sleeves interchange. For the core pump under that sleeve to be the exact same, and based on that old mallory PN,....I always find it amusing that there is bound to be plenty of cars with the red pump installed out there where the silver one would've did the exact same thing for 130.00 less.

After taking my mallory pump apart to see how the connections were soldered,..It became apparent that they are still intact. The connection issue must've still been the problem. I installed the summit pump regardless. I'll keep the Mallory as a back-up

Reactions: 2 users
So you mean to tell me that there is no room on the accessory drive for the motor to run a mechanical pump Mike?! :stick: Ok, the only useful input here is that I've seen plenty of Aeromotive pumps fail just like the Chinese pumps... Makes you wonder @TOOLOW91

So you mean to tell me that there is no room on the accessory drive for the motor to run a mechanical pump Mike?! :stick: Ok, the only useful input here is that I've seen plenty of Aeromotive pumps fail just like the Chinese pumps... Makes you wonder @TOOLOW91
Yup . If this don't work out I may buy an 03 cobra hat that accepts a dual walboro setup or something and use that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk