I Finally get my FRPP Aluminum D/S, and it's screwed up right from the factory!

Cobra Jay

Apr 7, 2004
Motor City
Called Ramchargers today to see if the D/S that I ordered came in. They told me they had one shipped to them from another store and it's in. So I go there with my son to pick it up. 1/2 hour to get there, 10 minutes in the store, 1/2 hour to get home. I was in kind of a hurry because I had to get ready for work. When I get home, just for the hell of it I opened up the box to have a look at it 'til later on after I get home from work I'll install it. I was looking it over to check and make sure everything is o.k. with it and I tested out the movement of the u-joints to make sure everything is moving properly and there in no needles out of wack. Low and behold, I find a problem with one of them. The rear u-joint that connects the flange to the tube has snap rings in it that are to small . I can spin them around with my fingers freely in their slots! :mad: I definately am not going to install it like it is, the u-joint will be worn out in less than a 1,000 miles. That is, if it doesn't vibirate like a S.O.B. I tried to get in touch with Ford Racing to find out if I should fix it myself or if they'd like it back so they can send it back to Visteon. I spent about a half hour on the phone trying to call them, but all I got was a busy signal. I called later and finally get the phone to ring, but that's all it does is ring,&ring,&ring. Looks like I'll have to call them in the morning! :damnit:

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up and let you know that if you notice that you can spin the snap rings (they hold the bearing caps on to the u-joint) with your fingers, that they aren't tight enough and you're going to have problems down the road. I use to work in the D/S department at Ford for 4 years so I know a little bit about them. Hopefully I just got a bad one and no one else on here has the same $hitty lick that I did! :bang:
Sorry for the long post, but it's something that EVERYONE on here should know about! Later GT JAY! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

If you can turn the snap rings with your fingers, then the u-joint isn't doing it's job. I just talked to one of my bosses here at work and told him what was up. He told me to call Ford Racing back in the morning and demand a new one. If the bearing caps are free spinning, they'll not only wear out the u-joint , but the'll wear out the holes in the tube on the weld yoke itself.
Talk about $hitty luck! :mad: It wouldn't be so bad if we still made them here at my work (The Sterling Axle Plant). I could take it back to the D/S dept. and have it tightened up and re-balanced. Unfortunately that dept. is long gone down to Monroe.

Well I got a hold of Ford Racing today and told them what was wrong with the D/S. I told them that I could fix it myself, but he told me if something went wrong with it after I fixed it that they wouldn't replace it. He told me to call who I bought it from and tell them to get me new one and have them send the bad one back. So I get on the phone with Ramchargers and tell my salesman whats going on. He tells me don't worry about it, he'll order a new one and have it for me tomorrow. :nice: It's been a PITA trying to do a simple D/S swap, but I'll live.