• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

I have a 67/68 hybrid mustang, need some advice...

  • Thread starter Thread starter fischin
  • Start date Start date Jul 14, 2011
F

fischin

New Member
Jul 14, 2011
1
0
0
Jul 14, 2011
#1
  • Jul 14, 2011
  • #1
Hi all,
So recently, I acquired a 68 coupe from a long time family friend for free. My friend does a lot of body work on cars, and has many different cars, (he has two mustangs, a falcon, two 60's corvettes and a camaro) and he decided to give this one to me because he has too many projects he's working on. Anyways, this car was rear ended, so he found a donor 67 and took the rear off of it and put it on the 68. He did everything correctly, and the body looks amaaaazing. (I got the car and all the body work was done and it was in primer). But I have one slight dilema, theres a significant difference between the 67 "side scoop" things on the quarter panel, compared to the 68's lip with the little chrome piece.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?
I'm not trying to build a perfect car. I'm only 17, and my budget is kinda tight. This is my first mustang. I'd really like to put more effort and money into the cars driveability, not so much looks. But I'd like to be able to drive it around and have the senior mustang owners respect me, and not look at me like I'm a n00b because my side scoops aren't correct.
How tacky would it look it if I just put the 67' style on?
Or should I buy the eleanor style side scoops and put them on and hope no one notices?
I'd really like to call this car a '67 and be done with it, but the title and the stamped vin say '68

Any advice is greatly appreciated
 
1

19stang68

New Member
Jun 14, 2006
17
0
1
Binghamton, NY
Jul 14, 2011
#2
  • Jul 14, 2011
  • #2
68 or 67

Hi,

Well, since the VIN says it is a 68 that is what it is. Anyone that knows anything about Mustangs will be able to look at the VIN and see that it is one. Since you are not trying to restore it to showroom condition, and money is most likely tight, you should probably concentrate on other things and not worry about it.

Me, I would probably put on a set of Shelby style side scoops and hide the fake 67 side scoops. And if you really want to complete the 68 look you can bolt on a set of the late 68 model rear side markers. Not sure how picky your State's inspection process is but legally 68 model year and up had to have rear side markers.

Oh, and to complete the 68 look one more item that I can think of. Do your trunk lid/end caps have the chrome trim strips? In 67 they were an appearance option but in 68 they were standard.

Hope my musings help.

Craig
 

dodgestang

Active Member
Dec 15, 2003
1,360
0
37
Cecil County, MD
Jul 14, 2011
#3
  • Jul 14, 2011
  • #3
Ditch em both, both lower shelby scoop on it and call it done.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
3d scans of 67-68 engine bay?
  • Margrave30
  • Jul 27, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
1
Views
77
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Jul 27, 2026
Noobz347
L
Electrical problems with passenger side downstream o2 sensor
  • Lexiii12
  • Sep 14, 2026
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
70
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Lexiii12
L
C
C4 trans help needed
  • CPH89LX
  • Apr 26, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
287
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 28, 2026
CPH89LX
C
J
Suspension Foxbody mustang Steering shaft issue
  • Jakub2537
  • Sep 5, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
221
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 11, 2026
gkomo
W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
209
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?