I just spent a lot of money on a transmission

Hi Kurt,

Congrats on the purchase! I think it will be money well spent once you get it finished.

How are you going to hang the mid-pipe? Did you already have the stock SN95 hanger modified for the TR3550? The factory setup is kind of odd hanging off ofthe trailshft housing. I've been trying to think of clean alternatives that don't involve buying a Foxbody mid-pipe or major fabrication.

Thanks!
Fantastic question, and thank you for bringing that up. I actually never thought to mention the midpipe hanger. In 1999 when I installed the TR 3550 I fabricated midpipe hangers. I took 2 S hooks and 4 one inch washers from Hope Depot and welded them together, I then used some bar steel to push them back a few inches, and then bolted them to the top of the transmission mount to hang the midpipe hangers on. I didn't know how to weld at the time, so I had to take them to a local shop and have a guy weld them for me. The transmission mount for the Magnum is identical, so I assume I will be able to transfer the $8 of hardware I use for my midpipe hanger. Whatever, a picture is worth 1000 words, and youtube video is worth 1000 pictures. So I have attached the pictures.

I actually have a Mac Pro-Chamber that was originally designed for 94' headers that I re worked the inlet tubes to fit with foxbody headers. I love the sound that thing makes. Anyway, this a huge opportunity for me to do a technical drawing with part numbers from Home Depot to show other people how to do this extremely inexpensive simple modification.

Attachments

• 20230512_224732.jpg
    20230512_224732.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230512_224748.jpg
    20230512_224748.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
  • Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks a million for posting that, I appreciate it. That's a really straight forward solution for our cars. I really like it because it keeps the setup very clean. Plus, anything that can be done from home depot parts at that price level gets extra praise! A+

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Kurt, any progress? How's the magnum install coming along?
It's sitting on the trans jack. Everything is ready to go. I want 4 hands instead of 2, and my Mustang buddy and I have had conflicted schedules. I bought the damn thing 2 months ago, and then all kinds of things happened. I had an out of town funeral to go to, a problem with the house, a trip to Norway, amongst some family issues. So we are up to putting the transmission in. So so far, I had to cut the clutch cable tab thingy off a $1000 Quiktime bellhousing to clear the headers. I dialed the bellhousing 3 times, and it's right at the limit of .004" off. I had to take one of the headers off to get that rather large scattershield in. I noticed that my really expensive ceramic coated BBK header had a lot of rust where the AC condensation port was dripping on it. So I just cleaned it all, and sprayed new Cerakote for the first time. By the way, easiest thing I have ever sprayed, and I did not preheat the metal.

I measured the slave cylinder shimming 3 times, and had Ken do it, and everytime the numbers were different. So we have the slave cylinder shimmed to the scientific median. The Malwood master cylinder install is properly challenging. You have to pull the entire pedal assembly out. I ended up actually having to pull the accelerator pedal to install the bulkhead mount. So all that is done now. Ken's coming over tomorrow night. In a perfect World, we will get the transmission installed quickly, the endoscope will show that the slave cylinder is going to have the perfect 0.2" gap, get the passenger header back on, and get the hydraulics bled. I am fairly certain all that is now going to happen.

Kurt

Last edited:
I'm impressed you managed to fit that much work in with all of the other life events. Nice job!

I was fortunate to have a spare 26-spline input shaft for clutch-disc alignment on the install, so that made it the easiest trans to slide in in my life. I recommend using a spare input shaft if you can get your hands on one. No trans jack for me, so I also needed a buddy for install to help... Don't want to have a hiccup without an extra set of hands there to deal with things. Plus, it's a wee bit harder to muscle than the wimpy T5s, lol...

Quick question: I was under the impression that you're installing a twin-disk clutch for the first time. Did you check the depth on the T/O bearing collar/sleeve/retainer/ma-jiggy versus the twin-disk? I screwed that up the first time and the result was a twin disk that would not fully disengage, no matter what. The T/O collar pushed too far in and pressed into the clutch disc. Started off with minimal contact, presumably pushed very slightly into the PP, and seemed to disengage, but it was heating things up and the problem worsened over time. It also was probably why my twin disk failed prematurely warping the rear clutch disc if I remember right. Fortunately McLeod rebuilt it for me under warranty. In the end, the trick was to get a 1/4" spacer that QuickTime sells.... believe it's part #RM-199. I believe another solution might be just to trim the collar (T/O bearing retainer) by the same amount. Perhaps that'd be better because it'd still put the input shaft just as far into the pilot. In any case, I wanted to bring that to your attention for your consideration so you don't go through the same trouble I did... just in case. At a minimum, I recommend specifically checking this to make sure you have enough clearance. I could try to find my old notes about the proper depth, but it might be different on your Magnum.

Frankly, with the ass-pain that the hydraulic T/O sounds like it was, it makes me glad I stayed with the cable & fork in all of mine. I have no regrets on the turbo cars as the exhaust cleared perfectly to the passenger side & everything bolted right in like it was meant to be there. On Black Jack, with the driver's header in the way, well, I just don't take that car as seriously. So, I didn't mind denting the BBK Header, shortening the fork, & drilling the housing to give the cable a straight shot. Shortening the clutch fork would have been a PITA for me, but a fella down the road cut it and put a beautiful weld on it for $40. Drilling the pricey bellhousing sucked, but I was fortunate, at least, to find one used & paid $650 on the marketplace for it, which still seems ridiculous to me. Can't believe they get away with what they charge for 'em, new. Too bad McLeod & Lakewood stopped making compatible housings & adapter plates for 'em.

It sure is/was a lot to go through for us, but I've been enjoying mine now since the install in February. Before, 4.10s were the perfect strip gear for Black Jack's basic GT40X/E-cam/GT40 intake combo, but since Black Jack went from street stripper to street cruiser, the 4.10s were just too short for the street -- it'd turn 3k RPM on the highway. I drove to foxtoberfest last year with ear plugs in, lol. With the T56, though, they're perfect! It just doesn't act like it has 4.10s, anymore. The tall 0.5:1 6th gear ratio makes it cruise on hwys like a T5 would with 3.08s... night & day! More importantly, you and & I have got a good foundation now, to swap on sticky tires, hit it with forced induction, and still have a drivetrain that'll hold up, while enjoying the benefits of an extra gear. The juice is worth the squeeze, my friend. Check the market place... Foxes with TKOs are everywhere. T56s are hard to find & pricey... usually done with engine swaps and no Climate controls.

Alright, I'll stop the novel. You're doing well, man. Keep it up!

Last edited:
I'm impressed you managed to fit that much work in with all of the other life events. Nice job!

I was fortunate to have a spare 26-spline input shaft for clutch-disc alignment on the install, so that made it the easiest trans to slide in in my life. I recommend using a spare input shaft if you can get your hands on one. No trans jack for me, so I also needed a buddy for install to help... Don't want to have a hiccup without an extra set of hands there to deal with things. Plus, it's a wee bit harder to muscle than the wimpy T5s, lol...

Quick question: I was under the impression that you're installing a twin-disk clutch for the first time. Did you check the depth on the T/O bearing collar/sleeve/retainer/ma-jiggy versus the twin-disk? I screwed that up the first time and the result was a twin disk that would not fully disengage, no matter what. The T/O collar pushed too far in and pressed into the clutch disc. Started off with minimal contact, presumably pushed very slightly into the PP, and seemed to disengage, but it was heating things up and the problem worsened over time. It also was probably why my twin disk failed prematurely warping the rear clutch disc if I remember right. Fortunately McLeod rebuilt it for me under warranty. In the end, the trick was to get a 1/4" spacer that QuickTime sells.... believe it's part #RM-199. I believe another solution might be just to trim the collar (T/O bearing retainer) by the same amount. Perhaps that'd be better because it'd still put the input shaft just as far into the pilot. In any case, I wanted to bring that to your attention for your consideration so you don't go through the same trouble I did... just in case. At a minimum, I recommend specifically checking this to make sure you have enough clearance. I could try to find my old notes about the proper depth, but it might be different on your Magnum.

I actually put the twin disk Vengeance in like 2 years ago. My 3550 had a 26 spline input shaft on it. I'm kind of wondering why you used a spare input shaft to align the clutch when every clutch kit comes with a clutch alignment tool. I have at least three 26 spline ones, and two 10 spline ones. But yes, I had to measure the install height of the clutch, the depth of the throw out bearing, the back set on the crank shaft from the seperation plate, etc, and do the math. RAM clutches has a specific video on their youtube channel on how to do all that. I will link it in the install thread when I get to it. I'm going to get a wad of play doh today to double check it. I kind of think I will be ok just checking it with the endo scope. Having the release bearing having constant pressure on the clutch is really bad for everything.

I didn't actually check the collar on the transmission, but it doesn't look like it will be a problem. I will endoscope it of course to make sure nothing is touching. The vengeance is pretty compact, and I'm confident the collar won't touch.

Kurt

I dunno, man, boil it down to anecdotal info if you like, but my guess is that those alignment tools have more slop in the tolerances than an actual input shaft will. Also, the inputs will stick out quite a bit further making centering that much easier to see. When I installed the T56 afterwards, it mated so perfectly that the dowels on the trans slid right in.

I didn't actually check the collar on the transmission, but it doesn't look like it will be a problem. I will endoscope it of course to make sure nothing is touching. The vengeance is pretty compact, and I'm confident the collar won't touch.

Kurt
That's the part I'm warning you about. The collar might make contact. Let me know whether it does in your application. Seems like you can get away with it on single disks, but maybe not on twins.

Last edited:
That's the part I'm warning you about. The collar might make contact. Let me know whether it does in your application. Seems like you can get away with it on single disks, but maybe not on twins.

Play-doh purchased. I will definitely look out for that. Thanks for the info. I never had a problem with an alignment tool.

Kurt