Fox I'm Rebuilding Exhaust And Have Fitment Questions

JHc90SSP

Nov 5, 2016
Hi all, I'm new here and to my 90 notch. I just purchased the car and I need to fix the exhaust. As it sits, the car has shorty bbk's, cats, and it dumps before the axle. All of which looks like ass. What I'm thinking is getting an X-pipe, keeping the new flowmasters, picking up some pre-bent stainless tailpipes and adding tubing where needed.
Does the UPR X-Pipe Off-Road 2-1/2" bolt up without problems and do you foresee any issues or have other recommendations? Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Only recommendation I can make is to stick to the same brands, bbk shorties, bbk off road pipe, and get mandrel bent tail pipes.
Different brands may have fitment issues.
Agreed. If you are having a shop downtown it then get whatever you want, but if want to bolt this up in your driveway then stick with BBK.

You can usually get away with different shorty headers. It's the long tubes that don't just bolt up to anything.
If the x pipe you buy is in pieces that will be fine too since you can adjust it.
I wouldn't try and mate up tailpipes to old mufflers, I can't see it going well and will probably need cutting and welding.
A full catback isn't much more money than just the tailpipes.
Buy that so you can install it yourself.

Reasoning on the UPR rather than BBK is the amazon reviews. Most state they do not seal well at the header and are welded solid rather than the UPR which have an adjustable drivers side. Both state they fit stock and aftermarket shorties. It will be done in my garage but I am also a proficient welder as a trade, but not wanting to hack a new piece to make fit. If anyone has used the BBK or UPR I'd like to hear what you think of them or had any problems.

My crap's been on my car for so long I'd have to look to see what headers they are but I have bbk h pipe and long tubes, I've seen the bbk's h pipe for shorties are in several pieces, don't know about x pipe. I'm lucky I got a friend that has a muller shop and it took a small adjustment for my setup. No big deal. I've taken then off and on a coulpe times with no issues. Shorties are easier to deal with and if they need a little ajusting it should be no problem. If your a good welder you can make the pipes work even using your mufflers, the cat back kit is pretty good deal though.

You all make good sense, Im just over-thinking it. Thing is the Flowmaster are new but every thing else is nasty and fills the car with fumes. I looked for the mufflers and they seem to run around 100 bucks each. h or x-pipe are about 175 and s.s. tailpipes are another 210 so about 400 and I have new exhaust from tip to taint with just a little elbow grease. Thanks for the quick replies!

I have the BBK off road X pipe, the down tubes are both adjustable, I used a little copper RTV at the headers and no leaks yet. I had an existing flowmaster cat back so I did need to play around with the alignment, it seems the new x pipe sits a tad lower than the factory which caused the tailpipes to sit a little closer to the bumper. I may just go ahead and get a new cat back since the corrosion over the years won't allow me to adjust the tailpipes at all

20160829_172936.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
The BBK X pipe looks good, I'll be going that route. I think what I was looking at was the older H pipe.
Also,right now it has just the upper cats or resonators, whichever they are. But I will be keeping them for a while, just in case. Although here in Washington after 25 years autos are emissions exempt.

Although here in Washington after 25 years autos are emissions exempt.

MA has been emissions exempt for a while, but I'd still chose to run cats. Just not a fan of the excessive sound and fumes.

Although I should really think about a new mid pipe. I'm still running a stock h pipe.

Oh yeah, when you take the stock pipe off, toss that thing in the attic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk